Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Race Day medication reform   Horse Racing

Started by LyndaP31; 73899 views.
LindaVA3

12/6/11

Totally agree, they need better conditioning as youngsters to build up their bones and muscles and lung capacity.  And more time outdoors during their racing days would help, I think.  Horses were not meant to spend all their time indoors breathing in hay and dust and whatever.  Sunshine and fresh air is what they need!
In reply toRe: msg 45
whitney23187

2/5/12

posted the complete TVG show on drugs here--they start with Lasix and go from there and this show has gotten of interest and they have already said they will replay it several times........just in case anyone is interested............

In reply toRe: msg 46
SmittyCat3

2/5/12

I highly recommend the video Whitney linked to above - it's long, but worth it if you've got the time. 
Derby132

2/5/12

For some reason that link did not work for me.  Here is the direct link to the video on the Roundtable, happily Paulick posted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzEtu2Yktc&feature=player_embedded

SmittyCat3

2/5/12

The goal is a good one and should be pursued but the road to it's success could be difficult on many levels. 

I agree. As my statistics teacher used to say, figures can't lie, but liars can figure. 

Hate to be a cynic, but - If Lasix can make their wallets bleed, they'll stop using it.

SmittyCat3

2/5/12

Thanks - a good read (or watch) and lucky to see so many stars weighing in on one stage.
SmittyCat3

2/5/12

Are steroids currently banned for pumping babies up for auctions? Or just pre-race?
SmittyCat3

2/5/12

Interesting article, thanks. ..One panelist in the TVG video said - maybe the only way to monitor it as well as leveling the playing field is by banning it altogether.

IMO,  excessive prescriptions are making doctors weaker diagnosticians - and making trainers weaker horsemen....and making drug companies rich.

From your article...

In his early years as a trainer, Mel Stute would regularly blow out his horses two or three furlongs the morning of the race....

“It might take the congestion out of their lungs,” he said. Did it prevent bleeding? “You hoped so, but you went by feel.”

Nerud also offered a simpler strategy for treating the ailment: “Keep them fat and happy, and don’t work them too hard. Give them the chance to heal up, and usually, they would.”

Amy (1pony)
Staff

2/5/12

I believe that steriods are also not allowed for auctions, however I think it is up to the buyer to test, and it would be a buyer beware issue. However I could be wrong.