MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

In Memoriam   Horse Racing

Started 1/10/12 by Derby132; 566783 views.
gerchgo

Jan-28

The man who brought us Arlington Park, Richard Duchossois  has died. A shame his kids dont live by his words…..

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/256418/industry-icon-richard-l-duchossois-dies-at-100

cigarello

Jan-28

very sad news ----Alphabet Soup has. Passed away the story is at Blood horse

( couldn't copy from my tablet). He was 31 years old had resided at Old Friends

for 7 years ----he was loved and wonderfully cared for-- I know he was elderly

But I was still shocked at his passing.

gerchgo

Jan-28

RIP sweet boy, my condolences to Old Friends, his connections and all of us who loved visiting him 

GEORGETOWN, KY – JANUARY 28, 2022 --Multiple graded stakes winner and 1996 Breeders’ Cup Classic Champion Alphabet Soup was euthanized January 28 at Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement farm in Georgetown, KY., where he has been pensioned since 2015. The cause of death was chronic kidney disease.

At 31, the gray son of Cozzene was the oldest living winner of the Breeders’ Cup Classic. 

Bred in Pennsylvania out of the Arts and Letters mare Illiterate, Alphabet Soup was a late bloomer for owner Georgia B. Ridder, winning his first stakes at age four when he captured the 1995 Native Diver (GR3) and the Del Mar Breeders’ Cup Handicap (GR2).

In 1996 he was the victor in the San Antonia Handicap (GR2), the Pat O’Brian Handicap (GR3), and the San Pasqual Handicap (GR2) en route to his greatest triumph, the 1996 Breeders’ Cup Classic (GR1), where he defeated the “invincible” Cigar as well as that year’s Preakness Stakes winner Louis Quatorze—all while setting a new track record at Woodbine.

Retired in 1998 to Adena Springs having captured 10 of 24 starts and earnings of over $2.9 million, Alphabet Soup sired numerous stakes winners, among them Grade 1 winners Egg Drop and Alphabet Kisses, and champions Our New Recruit, Phantom Light, and Sovereign Award winner Alpha Bettor. 
“I’m saddened by the news today of Alphabet Soup’s passing," said Hall of Fame jockey Chris McCarron, who piloted Soup to his Breeders’ Cup win. “I truly enjoyed my relationship with Soupy, and he will always have special place in my heart. He represented the U.S. well when he bested the Cigar and Louis Quatorze in the Breeders’ Cup Classic. Rest in peace old friend.”

“It won’t be the same around here without Soup,” said Old Friends President and founder Michael Blowen. “Over these seven years he was a delight to be around with his sweet nature and enormous popularity. He brought joy to everyone.

“His best friend, the donkey Gorgeous George, will miss him terribly,” added Blowen, “and so will everyone on the farm. We are so grateful to Frank Stronach and everyone at Adena Springs for giving us the privilege of retiring this fabulous champion.” 
gerchgo

Feb-7

Speightster has died, my condolences to his connections 

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?fbid=4944975545523547

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Feb-7

This hurts! I forgot he had moved to Canada. Run Free Speightser my condolences to your connections. 

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Feb-7

Thanks for posting the article, just proves how fragile they can be.

gerchgo

Feb-16

RIP sweet boy, my condolences to Old friends and his connections

GEORGETOWN, KY – FEB. 16, 2022 – Affirmed Success, multiple Grade 1 winner and a true warrior on the New York racing circuit, was euthanized today at Old Friends, the Thoroughbred Retirement Facility in Georgetown, KY., where he had been pensioned since 2007. 
According to attending veterinarians the 28-year-old gelding was suffering from chronic hoof infections.
Owned and bred by Albert Fried, Jr., and trained by Richard Schosberg, Affirmed Success was among the best sons of Triple Crown winner Affirmed. He showed his mettle with his first jump from the gate, capturing his first three career starts in 1997 at Aqueduct and Belmont Park.
The following year, the bay gelding earned his first graded stakes, the GR2 Forego Handicap, at Saratoga, setting off a string of stakes wins on both dirt and turf, among them the GR1 Vosburg Stakes, the GR1 Cigar Mile, and back-to-back runnings of the GR3 Poker Handicap.
In 2002, at the age of eight, Affirmed Success became the oldest horse to win the Toboggan Handicap at Aqueduct, a victory he followed a few weeks later with a spectacular win the GR1 Carter Handicap.
Making his last start in 2003, again in the Carter, Affirmed Success was originally retired to the Kentucky Horse Park where he was featured in the daily “Parade of Breeds” show. When soundness issues prevented his continued participation, he was retired to Old Friends. 
Affirmed Success ended his career with 17 wins from his 42 starts and earnings of more than $2.2 million.
“He was such an incredible race horse, and he had such a great personality,” said trainer Rick Schosberg. “Beside his obvious talent he had class, was brilliant, and was a joy to train. He always put in his best effort. And with his high cruising speed and running style he was exciting for the fans to watch, too.
"You think of a horse like that as the iron horse, as indestructible,” Schosberg added, “but being in this business my entire life, you know that day is going to come. But he had an incredible life. He had a great life on the track and an incredible life in his aftercare at Old Friends.”  
 “I like my horses the way I like my people, honest and hardworking, and Affirmed Success completely embodied that,” said jockey Richard Migliore, who rode Affirmed Success to numerous victories. “He was as hardworking and tenacious as any horse that I’ve ever been around, and I am happy to have been a small part of his history. I take comfort in knowing that he had a great twilight of his life.”
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
gerchgo

Feb-22

Saratoga Snacks has died, my condolences to his connections and all of us who loved him

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/256976/multiple-graded-stakes-winner-saratoga-snacks-dies