MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Breeding News   Horse Racing

Started 11/24/12 by Derby132; 551289 views.
gerchgo

Jun-20

Didn’t know she was retired….

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Flurry84

Jun-22

Thank you for this article;  will read it tonight.

Did you happen to read about Americain having died in Australia recently?  Altho I knew he was sold to Aus., I did  not know that in earlier years  (2010)  he won the Melbourne Cup and in 2011 won Prix de Raux and Moonea Valley cup.  Came 4th in Melb. Cup that year, too.  He was retired and broke his leg at the farm in Aus.  Was put down there at 17 yrs. of age.

Americain earned almost 6 mil. in 34 starts.  Another link with Dynaformer gone.  May he rest in peace.

gerchgo

Jun-22

No I hadn’t heard that, RIP Americain. I can’t believe he was that old already!:(

Flurry84

Jun-23

Thank you for providing the link to this Northern Dancer article.  Am always fascinated with current day horses who have up-close  great producing sires or dams behind them.  This much Northern Dancer  in the pedigree is just exciting.  Reminiscent of all those Mr. P's not very far back  (complemented with outcrosses on the other side of the pedigree of course!).  Inbreeding can be a great tool in the hands of pedigree experts who also understand when to outcross.  Complete outcross pedigrees can be pretty interesting to read, too.

cigarello

Jun-24

I absolutely love Northern Dancer  have read every book about him.  He was an amazing stallion whose blood courses through many of the great European sires--- who   sired progeny that displayed both speed and stamina. For me, he is the little horse that could, and did, against all odds.

Flurry84

Jun-24

Do you ever get to see the current Spendthrift commercial which shows charts with Phalaris, Northern Dancer, Into Mischief and other greats?  It was just on a minute ago.  A tribute to the history and glory of the TB.

cigarello

Jun-24

No I have never seen it---where did you see this commercial, on TVG?

Flurry84

Jun-24

I believe it was on TVG, but might have been on one of the Fox Sports channels.  Not a brand new commercial, so may have been shown on all by now.