MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Old Friends news   Retired TBs -Past and Present

Started 7/21/15 by gerchgo; 144587 views.
KLB (ghizmatt)

1/17/16

The wonderful Gulch has passed. I understand it was cancer related.  

KLB

lindawilbe

1/17/16

Me too!  It seems like yesterday Silver Charm was racing...

Linda J.

Northeast Philly

gerchgo

1/23/16

Fire in one of the barns at Old Friends, thank goodness all horses and people are okay!

All Horses and People Safe after Old Friends Barn Fire

GEORGETOWN, KY - JANUARY 23, 2016 - Georgetown Scott County Fire Departments responded to a fire last night in one of the barns at Old Friends, the Thoroughbred Retirement Facility located in Georgetown, KY.

The two horses that were in the barn were quickly and safely evacuated and Old Friends reports that no horses or people were injured.

"It's a testament to our amazing staff," said Old Friends president Michael Blowen. "The horses in the barn got out without a scratch and everyone is all right, and that's all that matters. The fire crews have been great," Blowen added, "and we're grateful for all of their help today."

Georgetown Scott County Fire Officials are still investigating the cause of the fire.

More information will be released when it's available

Derby132

1/23/16

Just saw a photo of the fire on fb - looked awful.  So glad all are okay.  Blowen mentioned yesterday that staff were staying thru the night with the horses thinking they wouldn't be able to get in today.  Good plan.  A life saving one.

gerchgo

1/23/16

Great plan !!!

Amy (1pony)
Staff

1/23/16

Wow they are lucky they got the horses out

cigarello

1/23/16

When I first saw the headline that there was a fire at Old Friends, my heart was in my throat--- how wonderful that those loving caring volunteers were there to take care of what could have been a dire situation.  Thank goodness no humans or horses were injured

Derby132

1/23/16

Barbara Livingston  just posted photos of the barn burned completely to the ground and this comment:

After the fire, this morning at Old Friends. The quarantine barn was a complete loss but thanks to quick-responding staff, both Alphabet Soup and Archie's Echo were removed safely.

No one from the farm was injured, although apparently one firefighter was injured when they fell on the ice, according to reports.