MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

JOE AND THOROUGHBRED FRIENDS   Horse Rescue Issues

Started 11/27/17 by NWFLAFOB; 1023 views.
NWFLAFOB

11/27/17

Who doesn't remember Joe at Thoroughbred Friends in California?  I know we used to all eagerly await his latest story detailing the daily adventures as a dedicated horse rescuer.  Lynne Brown used to provide a lot of updates about him and TB Friends.   I just saw a face book post by someone who knows Joe and the work he does.  He is doing well, still rescuing, but not a fan of social media!  Wise man!  Below is her post.  Just felt moved to share because her mention of a dollar from each of their 1900 members reflects our theory behind our monthly $5 donation horse, dog and cat donation efforts.  No one alone feels such a small amount is helpful but when combined with many others' donations....wowza.  It's a huge help to these rescue groups.  And, who doesn't love them some Joe?!

***************************************************************************************

Christmas will be here before we know it. Can we get each our 1900 members to send $1? Maybe even $5? It all adds up.

Joe is still there taking in horses and adopting out. He may not tweet or post a daily blog but he's still doing what he loves. So let's all show him and the ottbs some Christmas love!

Hay Fund through PayPal account is georgiann.hartman@yahoo.com

Or if you prefer to mail a check please mail it to:
Georgie Hartman
19504 County Rd. 95
Woodland, CA 95695.

HopeMom1

11/27/17

My husband and I met him about a year ago. We also went to the ranch and saw the horses. Joe is exactly what you thought he would be - unassuming, decent, hard working, putting the horses first. The horses looked amazing  - all but one in beautiful condition, groomed and in large paddocks. The only one who did not look great had just arrived - his "project horse". It was my incredibly great privilege to meet this man and see what he does. He is among the absolute best (Jeannne Mirabito and Bev Strauss are right up there for me). This is a truly good man - and he has a wife who is also the best

NWFLAFOB

12/1/17

Thank you for that first person experience!  Back in the day, I emailed back and forth with Joe a few times.  His stories were always so down to earth and relatable to everyone who "gets it".  He truly is an amazing guy.  

JLNJ

Aug-13

Does anyone know how Joe is doing with all the California fires? I just heard a story about a rescue of 60 dogs near Vacaville. I think I remember Joe talking about going to Vacaville. The fire was almost upon the rescuers who were thankfully able to get all the dogs to safety and foster homes.

It made me wonder if TB Friends was in the path of any fires?

Thanks for any information anyone might have.

Jessie

In reply toRe: msg 4
wire2wire

Aug-14

I really don't do Facebook any longer, but i just checked their page and there is a post from yesterday.  "The Nelson fire in Vacaville has been contained.  Joe wasn't in any danger. Pray for the rest of the state of CS that's still burning."  

Sounds like they are OK for now...

~D in Elkton, MD

In reply toRe: msg 4
NWFLAFOB

Aug-16

Hi there - so sorry didn't respond sooner, just saw this notification in my Inbox.   Believe someone else provided the info and I second what they said.  After watching the animal shelter rescue someone posted that Joe at TB Friends was not in danger.  I know he holds a special place in all our hearts.

JLNJ

Aug-16

Thanks for responding. I miss Joe and was glad to hear he is safe. The fires are horrific for humans and animals. Here in the Mid Atlantic we have had an incredible amount of rain with flooding in many areas. 

You take care. 

Jessie

In reply toRe: msg 7
NWFLAFOB

Aug-17

I'm in northwest Florida and we've had quite a wet summer, too.  We could mow the grass every other day - when it's dry - it grows so fast!   I'm ready for Fall!!!

I miss Joe, too.  Used to truly enjoy his daily updates and admire him tremendously.

JLNJ

Aug-17

I can’t wait for Fall either. Here in PA it’s beautiful. Not that I’m wishing my life away, but not a fan of heat and humidity. 

When we come to FL end of Jan. early Feb. I always visit Beauty’s Haven Farm and Equine Rescue. They are in Morriston. Are you familiar with Theresa? You have I BELIEVE at the end of your post so I think you know Theresa and BELIEVE like Betsy Rose taught us!! 

Jessie

In reply toRe: msg 9
NWFLAFOB

Aug-17

Yes, I'm familiar with Theresa and Beauty's Haven.  One of my FOB friends linked me to her several years ago.   I actually became attached to the I BELIEVE while we were all following Barbaro during his convalescence.  Suddenly that word began popping up everywhere.  I went to a Cracker Barrel once and they had a tub of small angels and other trinkets.  I reached in, pulled one out and it said BELIEVE.   I rifled thru that barrel trying to find another one and couldn't!  

If you ever go to Louisville Kentucky go out to visit Our Mims Retirement Haven in Paris Kentucky.  Maybe an hour drive from Louisville and worthy of the visit.  I am totally in awe of those who do the hands on rescue work.