MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

JUNE $5 WINNER IS...........   Dogs and Cats and ...

Started Jun-1 by NWFLAFOB; 533 views.
NWFLAFOB

Jun-1

Good June 1st to everyone.  Hope your summers are off to a good start.  Ours is filled with chickens!  The nine newbies are settling in even when occasionally being charged at by one of the youngest of the established group. Mike's garden is flourishing.  This year he's using a chicken poop tea to fertilize.  Yuck.  Zucchini, corn, okra, romaine lettuce, cucumbers.  The tomatoes not doing as well.  Blueberry picking season will be here in the next week or so and I'm eager to get fresh berries.  So much excitement!
June's rescue is Robin Hood Animal Rescue nominated many, many years ago by Barb Beck.  For those who prefer to donate via credit card/PayPal,use this link www.robinhoodanimalrescue.org .  For donating by check, here's their mailing address: RHAR c/o, 3331 West Monterosa St, Phoenix, AZ 85017.    There's a form to complete at the website where you can annotate FOB DONATION.   Please let me know when you've seen and sent.
Here is response from the rescue when I notified them about our donations:
"Thank you with all our heart. We appreciate being chosen to receive support this June from your members. Any amount helps us. Thank you again.

Shellie, Administrator and Chief Foster Mom"
hatchery1

Jun-3

Hi, Linda,

Just sent $20 by PayPal to Robin Hood Animal Rescue. Glad we can help them out again, many years later!

Your vegetable garden sounds great!  We used to have one back in New England, grew lots of tomatoes, carrots, cucs, string beans, lettuce.  I miss it.  Down here, we tried growing tomatoes in our little yard, but they didn't do well at all in South Florida, too hot, so we gave up. Now we just have some fruit trees - a couple of dwarf avocados which do great, a lime bush, and a guava tree, that doesn't do well, at all, but my husband wanted it.

Now we have a tropical storm headed our way today and tomorrow, and it's raining already.

Tricia K.

Barbaro will lead the way...

NWFLAFOB

Jun-3

Thanks, Tricia.  Mike's tomatoes are not doing well either.  He had plants in buckets last year - different types of cherry tomatoes - and they did really well.  Those in the ground are suffering.   We have several different types of fruit scattered around but this year the late freeze killed the peaches (wouldn't have been many because it's a new tree), mulberries, and loquats.   The Meyer lemon is pretty indestructible.  Then there's a pear tree doing well and a couple of fig trees.  Also have a small grape arbor.  I picked wild dewberries along our road and on the property.  Decided the plants - they are real thorny vines - growing along our fence will be left alone and not mowed over.  I got so many nice, plump berries from those vines.  If left to grow, I think they will produce a bumper crop next year.

Hope you fare well with this storm.  Too early for a Gulf storm!  Hopefully only rain will hit you guys.  I just bought a new generator - it's on wheels and has an electric start.  Perfect for two old people!  

Take care!

hatchery1

Jun-6

We got a lot of rain in the tropical storm, about 8 inches, and the street and driveway had a lot of water, and it made me nervous, but no flooding, thankfully. I'd like to get a generator, too, but we talk about getting one, then never do it! Someday we'll need it.

We used to have grape vines in Rhode Island, and they did really well, and so did the raspberries we planted in RI. The raspberries tried to take over, they did amazing. I miss that.

You take care, too, Linda!

Tricia K.

NWFLAFOB

Jun-7

I ordered my generator from Amazon - FEDEX delivered in perfect condition a day earlier than expected.  Here is description straight off Amazon:
DuroMax XP4850EH Generator-4850 Watt Gas or Propane Powered-Electric Start-Camping & RV Ready, 50 State Approved Dual Fuel Portable Generator, Green

Current price is $549 - regular price $599 - I caught it at $489 and a week or so ago it was down to $399.   Crazy.  DuroMax is a good brand for generators.

Glad you were okay after the storm.  Don't know what sort of situation you have with driveway and flooding but here is another product I got off Amazon (I swear I'm not a salesman for them!!! LOL) because our garage will flood a little when we have torrential downpours from buildup in the driveway.  These things work great as a damn to block water.  I've been moving ours in and out of garage entrance when it's not raining so the "goop" inside it doesn't dry out and I always have a spare on hand.    "Quick Dam Flood Barrier 10ft"  it was $31.    Places like Home Depot or Lowes sell them (I've seen them in their online stores).    Since I started using these flood barriers I don't lose sleep when we have really heavy rains because these things truly do create a good water barrier.

DJoAnn

Jun-10

I am so behind on messages, but I wanted you to know I did send donations to both Above and Beyond English Setter Rescue and Robin Hood Rescue.

I am so glad you are continuing this.....

jodie

In reply toRe: msg 6
NWFLAFOB

Jun-10

Thank you, Jodie.   Thank you for being here!!

hatchery1

Jun-11

Oh, wow. Thanks so much for all the information about generators and the flood barriers, I really appreciate it.  I'm going to show this to my husband.  They sound really good!

Tricia K.

amycapshaw

Jun-13

Hello Linda

Well, I'm a bit late but I just sent my donation to Robin Hood Animal Rescue. I know they will appreciate all the help they can get. Rescues and shelters all over the country are full and hurting for funds. 

Thank you for continuing to do this. Good luck with your garden! Sounds yummy!!!

Amy

cigarello

Jun-18

Hi Linda:  A little tardy this month but better late than never, huh???

Have a great day

Marilyn