Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Race Day medication reform   Horse Racing

Started by LyndaP31; 79008 views.
gunny101

5/24/12

Done. But this is just the first step in a path the racing needs to take. Then again, at least it's a first step.

In reply toRe: msg 102
Amy (1pony)
Staff

6/6/12

Opponents of Lasix phaseout dominate town hall meeting

In reply toRe: msg 103
Amy (1pony)
Staff

6/12/12

Race-day drugs: Integrity of industry at stake
It is hard to think of an issue in the Thoroughbred racing industry that has been more contentious or long lasting than the use of drugs. Most recently, the battle has centered on the use of race-day drugs; and two of racing's most important states, Kentucky and New York, are considering changes to their rules.
In reply toRe: msg 104
Amy (1pony)
Staff

6/12/12

I disagree with Dale Romans here!! 
Lasix benefits horses; ban would damage Kentucky racing

As I write this, I am in New York preparing Dullahan for the prestigious Belmont stakes, the biggest race of his young career.

In prior years, I would spend maybe a week or less away from my home and family in Kentucky, but it is different now. I'm learning to adjust to life in New York. I live in a flat about the size of the living room of my home in Kentucky.

SmittyCat3

6/13/12

Just watched this last night after Ray Paulick tweeted - nothing you hadn't already heard but an interesting and sobering take on things from Seth Hancock from the old Woody Stevens days to now and the effect of race day medication on the upcoming generation

Amy (1pony)
Staff

6/13/12

Thanks for posting this I will watch it later.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

6/13/12

I agree with all that Seth Hancock says here 

JJCUVEE

6/13/12

This was very interesting. I wish they would take a scientific approach and wean the horses off Lasix. Reduce doses for a time and check for bleeding. See if horses bleed as a two year old in training. Do new trainers know how to keep bleeding in check like the old timers did? If not, go back and see what they did. Were horses given longer gallops at a younger age? I have no idea.  I do think horses should be kept race fit by racing not having 6 weeks of breezes and galllops. I cannot believe how many times Man O War ran as a two year old sometimes with as little as a fe days off...
Amy (1pony)
Staff

6/13/12

They did gallop longer and faster than they do now and they still had longs works as well. 

IMHO we need to start with the 2 year olds, and have them race without lasix, then next year we have 2 and 3 year olds running without lasix, etc. 
JJCUVEE

6/13/12

Agree- I remember secretariat had long breezes before the Belmont..now 3f is a big deal but just look at the races at Belmont--many 6f..not many at a mile and sixteenth and still waiting for the mile and an eighth on the dirt..need more longer races..