Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Race Day medication reform   Horse Racing

Started by LyndaP31; 79046 views.
gerchgo

7/8/15

Sounds like things are getting better, note the last sentence in article.

Parkin said that for every previous injury, a racehorse's risk of fatal injury increases 30% based only on information submitted to the EID. The challenge, he said, is to get more information on each horse such as vet records, medical history, and training records.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/92931/new-information-critical-to-injury-database

Derby132

7/8/15

I wanted to post some of the key points from todays summit.  Will look them up.  One was how important it is to run 2 yo's.

Derby132

7/8/15

Oh you caught that!  Yes!

"It really is critical to start exercising horses as 2-year-olds," Parkin said.

gerchgo

7/8/15

That's the last sentence in regard to less injuries.
In reply toRe: msg 463
gunny101

7/8/15

Let's look at that statement again.  He said "exercising" two-year-olds.  That's different from racing them.  He needs to clarify what he meant - in the statement as it stands, it sounds like he's referring to training rather than flat out competitive racing.

gerchgo

7/8/15

I think he meant racing, but he should clarify that!
Derby132

7/8/15

Thanks to Teresa's coverage today we have the answer:

Teresa Genaro @BklynBckstretch 11h11 hours ago

Dr. Tim Parkin on Equine Injury Database: the earlier you start racing horses, the better for their bone health. Dismisses notion, based on research, that 2yo shouldn't race

In reply toRe: msg 468
Derby132

7/8/15

And the entire booklet in pdf format, starts with bios of the presenters:  https://www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/resources/wssvi_booklet_complete.pdf

Derby132

7/8/15

I'm so glad they are continuing on with these studies.  They now have six years of data and can predict which horses are at risk and will begin using this data initially at 8 specific tracks, I believe that is I what I've read here.  I know that Finger Lakes already has a vet that has developed similar data and has been using predictors for the horses there.