MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Race Day medication reform   Horse Racing

Started 8/10/11 by LyndaP31; 79210 views.
In reply toRe: msg 468
Derby132

7/8/15

And the entire booklet in pdf format, starts with bios of the presenters:  https://www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/resources/wssvi_booklet_complete.pdf

Derby132

7/8/15

I'm so glad they are continuing on with these studies.  They now have six years of data and can predict which horses are at risk and will begin using this data initially at 8 specific tracks, I believe that is I what I've read here.  I know that Finger Lakes already has a vet that has developed similar data and has been using predictors for the horses there.

In reply toRe: msg 470
Derby132

7/8/15

The video presentation of today's summit will be available on July 9.

gerchgo

7/8/15

I was encouraged reading they had the 65% figure. Finally we will have proof positive about injuries.
In reply toRe: msg 471
Derby132

7/9/15

Ten Takeaways From The Welfare And Safety Summit

1. A lot of riders are not wearing ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) approved headgear, and it’s placing them at tremendous risk.

2. Those helmet manufacturers’ replacement guidelines might be more than a marketing ploy.

3. Female jockeys may have a higher incidence of some injuries than male riders.

4. Data continues to support the notion that synthetic surfaces are safer than dirt when it comes to catastrophic injuries.

5. The longer a horse is in the barn, the safer he is.   The risk for a horse who has been with a trainer for one month was 60 percent higher than for a horse who had been with his trainer four years.

6. Data continues to support the notion that starting a race career at two is better for horses than waiting until they are older.

7. Speed, unsurprisingly, can be more dangerous for horses than middle or long distances.

8. Racing is behind the eight ball on continuing education – but it’s working to catch up.

9. Two months may be the optimum vacation length for horses needing a freshener.

10. Got a horse with a bone bruise? Get him moving as soon as you can.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/ten-takeaways-from-the-welfare-and-safety-summit/

Amy (1pony)
Staff

2/5/16

Wow Irish racing authorities are taking a very strong stance here, banning for life every horse given any prohibitive substance. 

gerchgo

2/5/16

It's too bad the USA can't get their act together and make a stand like this!

Amy (1pony)
Staff

2/5/16

I agree!!

In reply toRe: msg 476
Amy (1pony)
Staff

2/9/16

I think this is a pro active approach by the vets. 

gunny101

2/9/16

About time... I've often wondered how some vets avoid getting sanctioned or losing their credentials for stuff like prescribing meds for healthy horses who don't have certain conditions, but use it for performance enhancement.  If vet organizations would start policing their own ranks better, some of these issues would diminish and there'd be fewer dead horses.  I'd like to see it overseen at a level above the NAARV to take out the conflict of interest issues. It would be better if the national vet credentialing agency become the overseer - more objectivity.