MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

RETIREMENTS   Horse Racing

Started 11/9/11 by Derby132; 304175 views.
Derby132

11/13/11

Well I saw the big bucks for Bernardini and then news of Wilburn being the first son to retire immediately after.  I agree with you though, its odd that they would retire him now at three unless something were wrong.  I don't like 3yo retirements to stud.  For any reason.
mimi6920

11/13/11

I was thinking like you. I imagined they saw Bernardini's fee and bought Wilburn to be the poor man's way to Bernardini; however, in my thoughts they were going to try to charge like 30,000 for Wilburn because he looks so much like Bernie. On seeing his stud fee, I have decided that he is probably injured, or they just think he isn't a very good racehorse. I think it is probably the former rather than the latter.
Derby132

11/13/11

Could be, I thought he was talented.
In reply toRe: msg 28
WendyinMI (wendrew)

11/13/11

Matt and I were at the Spendthrift breakfast the other morning and I believe I heard (but I could be wrong) that Wilburn had a suspensory injury and they decided to retire him.  It didn't seem to be too serious as he was walking in their show ring just fine with no wraps. 
Derby132

11/13/11

Thanks Wendy for the info on the suspensory and happy to hear it's nothing serious.  Really liked this colt.
gerchgo

11/14/11

GREAT photo of Gio, Wendy!!

ger

Derby132

11/14/11

I agree on them boys : )
Amy (1pony)
Staff

11/14/11

Picture Workforce: Set to stand in Japan

WORKFORCE RETIRED TO STUD

Workforce, brilliant winner of last year's Investec Derby and Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, has been retired to stud.

The four-year-old colt, owned by Khalid Abdullah and bred by his Juddmonte Farms operation, will stand at Teruya Yoshida's Shadai Farm in Japan.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/11/11/14/RACING_Workforce.html&BID=465

lizinuk

11/14/11

That's where Harbinger went after he was retired due to injury. I'm sorry to see Workforce go and I hope they look after him well. I wish it were easier to keep track of them when they get sold to Japan.