MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jockey's and Trainer's Thread   Horse Racing

Started 3/9/12 by SmittyCat3; 439281 views.
Derby132

3/4/20

Stunning news.  I wish him much luck.  I do wonder who Darley goes with also.  He was their main guy.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/4/20

Yes it’s MS. Between that and the issues in NY with immigration and the labor laws I am sure it will be less stressful.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/4/20

Darley has horses with Brad Cox, Brendan Walsh and a few others so probably split them up with them and a few others

Derby132

3/5/20

What the heck is going on?  We're losing the good guys....

Well, I guess I owe everyone an explanation on today's news. I love racing more than words can explain. Since 2012 I have tried to no avail to land on the management side of racing because I never sleep. I am constantly thinking of ways to make things better and to improve racing. The Federal Department of Labor went through the racing community establishing new rules, which if followed will pretty much run anyone with less than 100 horses out of the game. So my choices were ...follow their rules, cheat or cut corners. I can not do any of the above. If I follow their rules I bleed to death. I will not cheat or cut corners so here I am walking away from training. Kieran McLaughlin coming out this morning saying the exact same thing tells it all.

So I am not really leaving. Just not going to train their way. Jennifer is very sick and could use me home for awhile. During that time I am hoping the phone will ring and I can use my work ethic and knowledge of this game to land on the management side of racing anywhere in the world. I can and will make a difference if I am given that chance. Until that time I will take care of my wife and keep an eye on the horses.

I love this business far too much to simply walk away

https://www.facebook.com/gary.contessa?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARCj-mQ-Vy--DPL39HHTjyaJvPxMlQM5ClSw1Eo2lXJe-7rcRoiTq6CVaLvfkhNF9cV9ZI5aYxA8T8JU&hc_ref=ARQD30CaI7PBqSih5JvEEmwo_MxvHKZedNi8BvrQTOIvfA4zgXS6d5rtJHxDKt0gJIg&fref=nf

Derby132

3/5/20

‘I’ve Had Enough’: After 35 Years, Contessa Leaving Training Game

by Voss

“I've had enough,” said Contessa this week. “It's virtually impossible. Lots of people are going to continue to try, because that's what we have in our blood, but I've been doing this for 35 years and it's become increasingly impossible with the protocol put in place by the Department of Labor, among other things, to stay in business.”

When I had 100 horses, I could absorb this, but when I have 40 horses and 20 of them are so-so, it's not enough to overcome what the Department of Labor is expecting of us,”

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/ive-had-enough-after-thirty-five-years-contessa-leaving-training-game/

gerchgo

3/5/20

It’s a shame that we don’t have a national governing body to offer insurance to backstretch workers. I don’t know the particulars of what or how they pay “bonus” money ( assume that’s OT?), but if trainers had written contracts with employees, with a liaison person, they should be able to work on a contract basis? I know the Labor Board is looking out for the employees, but wouldn’t you think they have different sets of bylaws for workers like this? It will ruin N.Y. racing.:(

Derby132

3/5/20

I'm guessing bonus is for overtime.  I hope there is a fair resolution for all in the future.  Contessa is the kind of guy the sport needs.  He does a lot to try to grow the sport by sharing it and bringing in new fans.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/7/20

3 days of racing and the small fields is a concern to me as a fan. The cost of living is high in Ca so I do not blame him for making the move and wish him luck!