MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

+ Horse Racing - The Positive +    Horse Racing

Started 6/4/12 by Derby132; 97751 views.
Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/13/13

A Rock Center video on Sagamore Farm and how Under Armour CEO bought it.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/13/13

Sara check out the video in the post above. 
Derby132

3/13/13

That's a neat video.  Things have been tough for Maryland racing, I'm glad to see this guy invest in it's future.
KentuckyTB

3/13/13

Thanks!  Will watch it tomorrow - I'm so glad they are revitalizing it... the industry needs good things.... I am so depressed seeing Vinery's sale ad (you can check out the link on their website - www.vinery.com - it honestly gets me all emotional seeing the pics of the empty barns...)
Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/13/13

I am too and I love that it is on Sagamore farm and he kept the name! :)
Derby132

3/13/13

Yes, wonderful that Sagamore Farm will continue.
In reply toRe: msg 49
Derby132

2/16/14

New York Horsemen 'Take The Lead' In Thoroughbred Retirement

By Teresa Genaro @BklynBckstretch

With one phone call, trainers and owners at New York Racing Association tracks can find a good home for their retired racehorses, thanks to a new program initiated by New York horsemen.

...as of April 2013, the trainers and owners on the backstretches of New York Racing Association (NYRA) tracks can place their horses in an aftercare program by making a single phone call.

Kelly is a member of the board of directors of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association (NYTHA), which last spring launched Take The Lead, a program that partners with a handful of retirement, retraining, and adoption facilities. When a trainer has a horse whose racing days are done, he can call the program’s executive director, Andy Belfiore, or trainer Rick Schosberg, and within days, the horse is on his way to a facility that’s been vetted by the organization.

“It’s a no-brainer,” said Schosberg. “We’re in this business for our pleasure, and these horses give. When you think about a Thoroughbred, from the day they’re born until their last race, all they do is give of themselves, and we need to do our best to take care of them through this process.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/teresagenaro/2014/01/31/new-york-horsemen-take-the-lead-in-thoroughbred-retirement/

GreybirdK

2/17/14

This is very good news.  Funny how things can get done without a lot of hollering ;-)

Amy (1pony)
Staff

11/19/14

TCA to Honor Motions, CANTER at Auction

Thoroughbred Charities of America will honor Graham and Anita Motion with the Allaire duPont Leadership Award and the Communication Alliance to Network Thoroughbred Ex-Racehorses with the TCA Industry Service Award at the 25th Annual Select Stallion Season Auction Jan. 10 at the Keeneland Entertainment Center in Lexington. 

"We are pleased to honor Graham and Anita and CANTER for their tremendous work on behalf of Thoroughbreds," said TCA president Dan Rosenberg in a statement. "Their efforts are at the heart of the mission of Thoroughbred Charities of America and for that we thank them."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88806/tca-to-honor-motions-canter-at-auction#ixzz3JZ6TnL11

Derby132

11/19/14

What a great couple.   It is wonderful what they have done and it is really nice to see them honored for it.