MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

European Racing   Horse Racing

Started 7/21/12 by KentuckyTB; 287332 views.
SmittyCat3

9/15/12

Amy (1pony) says:
He was in the first post position
You mean Encke, right? 
SmittyCat3

9/15/12

Thanks - that's a big help -  looked like he was right there with Encke but didn't ask him until way after Barzelona asked Encke

ETA
I didn't realize Encke was the longest longshot - 33-1? wow...
  • Edited 9/15/2012 11:50 am ET by SmittyCat3
Derby132

9/15/12

What a dramatic race how that unfolded and all the emotion at the finish. Thrills for Encke, heartbreak for Camelot and Coolmore.  Not the results everyone expected but wow what a race.  Watching it again I can only feel thrilled and happy for Encke.  Much congratulations.

Derby132

9/15/12

I thought he waited too long to ask him after seeing that replay.
SmittyCat3

9/15/12

me too....lots of pressure on a very young jock. He and Mario should go have a pint together!
Maureen830 (Davis474)

9/15/12

I watched it "live," and felt the same - waited way too long to make his move!   What a shame he didn't get it!

Maureen

wishbone

9/15/12

Agreed.  O'Brien definitely kept Camelot covered up too long.  It's a long run-in at Doncaster, but you have to give your horse a chance and work your way out sooner.  He acted like he wasn't in any hurry to work his way outside at all.  Take a look at the winner and see what happens when you time your late run correctly.
Maureen830 (Davis474)

9/15/12

Yeah - and wasn't the winner something like 30-1, too?   Good grief!!

Maureen

trooper2037

9/15/12

Winner's jock rode a great race.   O'Brien rode a very bad race.  First of all, he parked him on the rail and the other jocks kept him covered up.   Kept waiting for him to move outside and give the horse a fair run.   Then when it did open up for some reason he persisited in trying to get thru on the rail.  Finally realized his mistake way too late and checked Camelot to get him outside.   Horse had way too much to do..   Winner is one beautifully striding big horse.    Hard to say if he would have fought off Camelot had Camelot had a decent shot.   Jock is lucky that the saddle didn't slip before the finish line and also lucky that he didn't come off in the gallop out.