MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Medina Spirit Derby positive    Horse Racing

Started 5/10/21 by Amy (1pony); 35314 views.
gerchgo

11/18/21

The first part said information but the following paragraph said the actual metabolite, either way, there has to be a quicker way for these 2nd samples to be tested!

sandins

11/18/21

think there is,. but holding out for Medina.........strange that I always think of him as a filly? At this point, no reversal , makes sense.........and I did not intentionally do this bold

sandins

Dec-3

crazy and wonder why they would put Betamethasone on skin lesions, unless they were itching.....to make him look better?? So many months ago and not yet resolved

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Dec-6

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Dec-6

He had an itchy skin fungus and unfortunately one of the ingredients is betamethasone.

sandins

Dec-6

have never seen that it was itchy fungus,..... but of course Betamethasone........only read that it was a rash

"Following the Santa Anita Derby, Medina Spirit developed dermatitis on his hind end. I had him checked out by my veterinarian who recommended the use of an anti-fungal ointment called Otomax. The veterinary recommendation was to apply this ointment daily to give the horse relief, help heal the dermatitis, and prevent it from spreading. My barn followed this recommendation and Medina Spirit was treated with Otomax once a day up until the day before the Kentucky Derby. Yesterday, I was informed that one of the substances in Otomax is betamethasone. While we do not know definitively that this was the source of the alleged 21 picograms (per milliliter of blood or plasma) found in Medina Spirit's post-race blood sample, and our investigation is continuing, I have been told by equine pharmacology experts that this could explain the test results. As such, I wanted to be forthright about this fact as soon as I learned of this information."

• Edited December 6, 2021 1:59 pm  by  sandins
In reply toRe: msg 199
sandins

Dec-6

of course. all is moot point as a 3 yr old passed after 5 furlong workout

May be an image of horse, outdoors and text that says 'RIP Medina Spirit P/1A'

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Dec-6

Gone too soon. Unfortunately his Derby win is still in question.

sandins

Dec-6

It is? That's so crazy...............and the horse did what was asked of him, so not fair........and wondering and will ask vet friends....if topical Betamethasone is systemic when applied to skin?   Could be and hope that Dr is longer a trusted servant

"The spray combining gentamicin sulfate and betamethasone valerate should be used cautiously. In fact, betamethasone valerate is an upper mid-strength GC (class 3). It has a high potential for local and systemic side effects. Its use should, therefore, be short-lived in cases of severe inflammation, pruritus or pain, especially if a bacterial infection is present concomitantly."

• Edited December 6, 2021 9:04 pm  by  sandins