Animaster's Hideaway

Hosted by Knotpicky (RUTA)

Computers and graphics and puns, oh my!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Canada Day   General Discussion

Started Jul-1 by Knotpicky (RUTA); 107 views.
Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jul-1

Happy Canada Day to Gord and all our northern friends! Do stay safe in your celebrations... unlike the US, where the virus is surging because of idiocy.

Ruta

gorddrog

Jul-3

Thanks Ruta:

Our day was quiet, watching vidio presentations of prepared zoom, skype, etc. concerts, bands, groups  and fireworks from a previous event. Very quiet, and not like us robust Canadians who usually whoop, and yeehaw all over the place.  Seriously, people did act with responsibility, at least in this province, wore masks and yelled quietly at each other in their living rooms, or on their patios.  Thankfully it rained all day which seemed to set the mood for most.

Very best to all here on the forum for a happy and safe July 4th celebration and particularly you and yours, Matt and his family  and Donna the Dip who I note is making some visits these days.

And to your point on idiocy, it is evident in every word spoken by "Donald the Orange" these days. Don't worry, "It is being handled and...someday soon it will just disappear".  We're making great progress...our economy is great...better than it has every been and like nobody has ever seen before."  All the idiots around him are walking on tiptoes of silence and in fear of what might happen if they spoke otherwise. Lets hope the majority really does win this year.  What do you think of Susan Rice as a VP running mate for Biden? 
Gord

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jul-3

Rain does put a damper on wilder celebrations. ;-) I've heard a few firecrackers here already. Unfortunately, no rain in the forecast. Tomorrow is our watering day (Wed. and Sat. for odd numbered addresses), so I'm going to soak the grass well. It'll be good for the grass and the trees, and should help prevent any fires if any idiot shoots off fireworks in the greenbelt across the street.

We hope to Skype or Zoom with the London crew. Tomorrow is grandson's second birthday. But no fireworks or anything in London; they have the 4th of July but don't celebrate it. <g>

Haven't really thought about Susan Rice as VP running mate, will have to look at her positions again. I've been hoping he'd pick a woman, maybe Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris, both very strong people. Michelle Obama is very intelligent and a strong, quiet person, but has said she's not at all interested in running for any office.

Meanwhile, we finally have mandated mask-wearing, with some exceptions (like my daily walk, when I get soaked in sweat since it's 80 F at 7 or 8 am, and then just gets hotter). Gov. Abbott is a mean so-and-so, having vilified the mayor of Houston for wanting to mandate masks in public a couple of weeks ago, when Houston became a virus hotspot, and now (yesterday) he mandated masks in public. He should apologize to her, but I know he won't, the disrespectful corrupt Republican.

So Ferris and I won't have to change our current lifestyle. Stay at home, go to the grocery store once a week, and pick up take-out food a couple times a week. Masks when in public, except I won't wear one while walking, and I see at most a dozen other people in my 3 miles, mostly on the other side of the street, some 30 feet away. I've never done well with heat and humidity, but I think I'm handling it even less well as I get older.

Ruta

gorddrog

Jul-4

Hope it goes well with the family conversations.  DUO is one on Google and for Android phones if there is a mix in the Family.  Our Toronto son uses it and it much like Zoom but across platforms.

President yesterday.  "I wore a mask.  I think I looked pretty good in it.  Just like the Lone Ranger."

Guess he has never seen the Lone Ranger who covers his eyes, not his nose and mouth.  Maybe the Pres could do both.  Then he wouldn't have to read (not a problem since he doesn't read anyway)  or look when going down ramps.  It's not even my country and I still can't believe he gets any support. Such lies, such arrogance and stupidity.

Susan Rice was Obama's Director of National Security  and seems to have a lot of moxy. She is also black. I also thought Kamala Harris, but I think she would be better in her known expertise of law;  Attorney General maybe. That would shake up the Justice Dept. I would think.  I would like to see Elizabeth Warren as Sec. of State perhaps.  I imagine he will have to have a few "older white men" in his Cabinet though. Has to think about monetary support and program support in the financial areas as well.

One more then I'll get off this.  How about those people in the Southern states screaming about wearing masks.  "Its my body and my life and my right to do what I want with it."  Jeez, where have we heard that before.  I wonder if they think that should also be accorded to women who want abortions.  Not likely.

Again, Happy 4th.  Keep Well

Gord

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jul-4

Thanks. Several family conversations coming up. Looks like Skype with London crew tomorrow, too late now as it's nearly 10 pm there. There's also a Zoom birthday party for Ferris's brother's 70th tomorrow afternoon. Matiss said they were going to Skype with Theresa and Takashi today; T&T are spending the weekend with a cousin and her family at a farm in upstate NY. Everyone on the farm and NYC have prepared for this very carefully.

Thanks for the DUO suggestion, might look into it. So far we've been using Skype on my laptop, because it's easier to get screenshots that way, pictures of the grandkids.

The Orange Clown is an idiot, dunno if he knows anything about the Lone Ranger... or actually ANY topic other than being racist. Yeah, most people don't support that moron. But there are way too many in the US who are still fighting the Civil War, 160 years later. That's his base, white supremacists. And to me, most fundamentalist "christians" are white supremacists, don't follow Jesus's teachings at all, hypocrites.

gorddrog said:

How about those people in the Southern states screaming about wearing masks. "Its my body and my life and my right to do what I want with it." Jeez, where have we heard that before. I wonder if they think that should also be accorded to women who want abortions. Not likely.

Yep. Blazing hypocrites. It's not restricting their life, it's them passing the virus to others who might be more vulnerable. As for abortion, too many of 'em want to deny abortions even for women who'd die without one, collateral damage for their "religious' views. But that doesn't apply to themselves, of course. Some good political cartoons skewering that attitude about masks. One had a guy saying he won't wear a mask, and the guy next to him says he has the same view about pants. <g>

As for Biden, I'll trust him to pick a good VP candidate, be it Susan Rice or someone else. I do like your suggestion of Warren for Sec. of State. Kamala Harris would put the Justice Dept. back on track as an independent agency dedicated to equal justice before the law. Barr has done so many unethical things I think he should be disbarred.

Oh well, we had a big lunch, a chicken casserole and a huge salad (with mushrooms, olives, artichoke hearts, mixed greens) from the grocery store. We'll have some ice cream to celebrate the 2-year-old's birthday after supper, and then an evening of online bridge. The quiet life. <g>

Ruta

gorddrog

Jul-12

Horray!  "Donald the Orange" is finally wearing a mask in public. His fear of people thinking he would look dumb in it...has finally been realized.  Doesn't matter though, he still looks as dumb and stupid as he did before.  At least someone else "may" not be infected as a result of his foolishness.

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jul-13

The mask may actually make him look smarter, or not as mean and snarling, since it hides his mouth. ;-) He still looks as stupid as ever, with or without a mask, IMO. But you're right, it's less likely that others would get infected, especially the patients in that hospital.