Coronavirus news -  Amid surge, India gathers for festival (281 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-12 6:35 AM 
To: All  (1 of 10) 

https://apnews.com/article/pandemics-india-coronavirus-pandemic-narendra-modi-hinduism-bcb998e286c5345b734fc4307848df86

Huge gatherings at India’s Hindu festival as virus surges

NEW DELHI (AP) — Tens of thousands of Hindu devotees gathered by the Ganges River for special prayers Monday, many of them flouting social distancing practices as the coronavirus spreads in India with record speed.

The Kumbh Mela, or pitcher festival, is one of the most sacred pilgrimages in Hinduism. The faithful congregate in the northern city of Haridwar and take a dip in the waters of the Ganges, which they believe will absolve them of their sins and deliver them from the cycle of birth and death.

The Kumbh Mela, which runs through April, comes during India’s worst surge in new infections since the pandemic began, with a seven-day rolling average of more than 130,000 new cases per day. Hospitals are becoming overwhelmed with patients, and experts worry the worst is yet to come.

Critics of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Hindu-nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party say the festival has been allowed at a time when infections are skyrocketing because the government isn’t willing to anger Hindus, who are the party’s biggest supporters.

With the surge showing no sign of slowing, India’s confirmed infections since the pandemic began surpassed Brazil’s total on Monday to make it the second-worst hit country in the world.

The current surge has hit hardest in Western Maharashtra state, home to the financial capital Mumbai. The state has accounted for nearly half of the country’s new infections in the past two weeks.

Amid concerns the Kumbh Mela festival could turn into a superspreader event, Uttarakhand state’s chief minister, Tirath Singh Rawat, last week said “the faith in God will overcome the fear of the virus.”

Health experts had appealed for the festival to be canceled, but the government went ahead saying safety rules would be followed. There are concerns that pilgrims could get infected and then take the virus back to their cities and villages in other parts of the country.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-12 6:36 AM 
To: All  (2 of 10) 
 7012.2 in reply to 7012.1 

I guess the US doesn't have a monopoly on ignorant people.

From: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-22 6:46 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 10) 
 7012.3 in reply to 7012.1 

Can't fix stupid. 

To: All 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-23 6:24 AM 
To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 7012.4 in reply to 7012.3 

I think we saw this coming:

https://apnews.com/article/health-fires-india-eeed59f1a8574e34353c046ca80419b1

Indian hospitals plead for oxygen, country sets virus record

NEW DELHI (AP) — India put oxygen tankers on special express trains as major hospitals in New Delhi on Friday begged on social media for more supplies to save COVID-19 patients who are struggling to breathe. More than a dozen people died when an oxygen-fed fire ripped through a coronavirus ward in a populous western state.

India’s underfunded health system is tattering as the world’s worst coronavirus surge wears out the nation, which set another global record in daily infections for a second straight day with 332,730.

India has confirmed 16 million cases so far, second only to the United States in a country of nearly 1.4 billion people. India has recorded 2,263 deaths in the past 24 hours for a total of 186,920.

The fire in a hospital intensive care unit killed 13 COVID-19 patients in the Virar area on the outskirts of Mumbai early Friday.

The situation was worsening by the day with hospitals taking to social media pleading with the government to replenish their oxygen supplies and threatening to stop fresh admissions of patients.

A major private hospital chain in the capital, Max Hospital, tweeted that one of its facilities had one hour’s oxygen supply in its system and was waiting for replenishment since early morning. Two days earlier, they had filed a petition in the Delhi High Court that they were running out of oxygen, endangering the lives of 400 patients, of which 262 were being treated with COVID-19.

The government started running Oxygen Express trains with tankers to meet the scramble at hospitals, Railroad Minister Piyush Goyal said.

From: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-23 11:45 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 10) 
 7012.5 in reply to 7012.4 

I'm just OVER people who don't wanna follow the rules and then they find themselves in the predicaments they're in! 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-23 1:54 PM 
To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 7012.6 in reply to 7012.5 

Yep. Stupidity has a price.

From: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-23 3:38 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 7012.7 in reply to 7012.6 

Yeah, and unfortunately the rest of us have to pay for it!

To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 10) 
 7012.8 in reply to 7012.3 

I think these two lines lifted from this thread's initial post say much about the spread of the virus...in India and elsewhere.

>>>Critics of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Hindu-nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party say the festival has been allowed at a time when infections are skyrocketing because the government isn’t willing to anger Hindus, who are the party’s biggest supporters.<<<

So.  A decision is made for political expediency, perhaps dooming hundreds of thousands.  The decision might be made, though, against a political backdrop which might include and not be limited to insurrection, rioting and losses at the polls, all of which might lead to even greater casualties.  Politicians are accustomed to taking risks, but some risks have real world consequences that are up close and personal.

>>>Amid concerns the Kumbh Mela festival could turn into a superspreader event, Uttarakhand state’s chief minister, Tirath Singh Rawat, last week said “the faith in God will overcome the fear of the virus.”<<<

I believe this to be a true statement.  However, faith in God provides a shield for the soul without providing protection against disease.  Many religious people believe that faith alone will prevail.  I kind of think it depends on the nature and the strength of the enemy.  In this case faith will help tremendously --- if accompanied by a face covering and a vaccine.  Overcoming the fear of the virus is one thing...overcoming the virus itself is quite another.

"Stupid" is a term I'll more quickly use to describe American habits and superstitions.  I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but I think despite its vast size, India's education system is lacking.  Students apparently do not read well or cypher well.  Everyone everywhere is a product of the information they receive and believe; I think we have education resources here superior to any other country in the world.  In America, we are held captive by erroneous concepts concerning "freedom."  In India, "religion" might be the achilles heel.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-26 6:55 AM 
To: alankell  (9 of 10) 
 7012.9 in reply to 7012.8 

alankell said...

In this case faith will help tremendously --- if accompanied by a face covering and a vaccine.

In other words, the key is the face covering and the vaccine.

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 10) 
 7012.10 in reply to 7012.9 

In other words, faith can be important for the soul.  Faith provides hope.  Faith, by itself, doesn't do shit to protect against the virus.  Some clerics and many people attribute miracles to faith, but protection in practical matters usually have practical solutions.  "God helps those who help themselves" is an expression that to me seems apt.

I think Tirath Singh Rawat is correct and I believe he uttered his statement correctly, but people hear what they want to hear, and will misconstrue him.  Faith alone will not defeat the virus.  And faith, rather than providing a physical bulwark against a virus, tends to break down that bulwark by encouraging people to gather.  This a time for people of faith to find new ways to have or demonstrate faith.  The traditional gathering places - churches, temples, festivals, the gatherings by the river - present quiet invitations to death. 

I miss seeing my family.  Just at this moment in time, I think it's better to show I love them by staying away from them.  I sometimes miss my church family, though I have not attended regularly in many years.  People want to gather because that's what humans do...comfort, solace and commiseration work well in groups.  But...this is a time for humans to learn new survival strategies.  Some of the old ones won't work.  

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.