General -  How Facebook enables disinformation (313 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-16 7:43 AM 
To: All  (1 of 21) 

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/13/1015483097/an-ugly-truth-how-facebook-enables-hate-and-disinformation

Reporters Reveal 'Ugly Truth' Of How Facebook Enables Hate Groups And Disinformation

In a new book, two New York Times journalists report that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg often doesn't see the downside of the social media platform he created. In their new book, An Ugly Truth, Sheera Frenkel and Cecilia Kang write that Zuckerberg tends to believe that free speech will drown out bad speech.

"[Zuckerberg's] view was that even if there were lies [on Facebook] — lies from a politician such as Donald Trump — that the public would respond with their own fact checks of the president and that the fact checks would rise to the top," Frenkel says.

Frenkel, who is based on San Francisco, covers cybersecurity for The Times; Kang is based in Washington, D.C., and covers technology and regulatory policy. Their book focuses on the period between the 2016 presidential campaign and the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol — a time in which Trump became one of Facebook's most profitable users.

"Trump had over 30 million followers," Frenkel tells Fresh Air. "He not only managed to bring audience and relevancy to Facebook, he created this constant sort of churning stream of information that people couldn't help take their eyes off of."

Following the 2020 presidential election, the Facebook platform became key in the "Stop the Steal" effort to challenge the election results, with users posting photos of assault rifles and openly discussing how they were going to bring guns to Washington on Jan. 6.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-16 7:59 AM 
To: All  (2 of 21) 
 7157.2 in reply to 7157.1 

Facebook is out of control and has become unmanageable because of its immense size.  I see it imploding sooner or later just like the original king of social media America Online.

I was just suspended from FB for this -

Someone posted thise meme:

and I said "You'll be caling the police because someone murdered the guy that served cauliflower waffles"

An obvious joke but FB algorithms kicked the comment in seconds and labeled it as a violent threat.

I protested and asked for a 2nd review of the suspension and they told me that they were too busy with COVID to review it again.  Case closed.

I got suspended for making a joke about WAFFLES!  What a bunch of incompetent morons.

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-16 11:32 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 21) 
 7157.3 in reply to 7157.2 
Another reason for me to refuse to have anything to do with FB.

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-16 1:15 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 21) 
 7157.4 in reply to 7157.2 

Incompetent, arbitrary, and authoritarian.

From: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-16 9:29 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 21) 
 7157.5 in reply to 7157.2 

I did a stint in FB jail a few weeks ago for making a "racist" comment.  I grew up poor and so did most of my family.  My cousin's daughter won prom queen a couple of months ago and I posted "Yay!  We were poor white trash and now we're royalty" and they yanked it and gagged me for 24 hours.  I mean SERIOUSLY?  FFS, can't even make a joke about your own family!

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-17 9:11 AM 
To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 21) 
 7157.6 in reply to 7157.5 

There are certain words and phrases that trigger their automatic algorithms and I know that "white trash" is one of them.  Their algorithms don't understand context so you have to get creative in using alternative phrases to avoid the FB Nazis.

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-17 11:55 AM 
To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 21) 
 7157.7 in reply to 7157.5 
Do what I did with Mytona to get around their ridiculous prohibited word list...instead of 'poor white trash' make it poorwhitetrash and see if that works.

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 21) 
 7157.8 in reply to 7157.6 

And when you try to argue your case, FB uses the COVID-19 excuse. That they don't have people to see/read/resolve your "situation" (banned for nn days).

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-19 6:46 AM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 21) 
 7157.9 in reply to 7157.7 

Using Lenny Bruce's idea, I've been using alternative phrases/spellings that are not a violation but everyone knows exactly what words I meant to use.  White Trash becomes "colorless refuse" or add letters to the forbidden word.  If they suspend me again, I'm going to tell them "Phuc Yu"

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-19 10:28 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 21) 
 7157.10 in reply to 7157.9 
What gets me is the excuse they use, 'that children will might them'. Children already know those words (news shows, certain music, certain religious offerings etc.) and seeing them in print online isn't going make any difference. Not to mention the fact that I feel it's the so-called parents responsibility to monitor their spawn's online activity.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.