All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

FEATURED DOG: Bedlington Terrier   Dogs

Started Nov-5 by PennyCC; 251 views.
PennyCC

Nov-5

FEATURED DOG:  Bedlington Terrier

5 Nov 2017

Bedlington Terrier - Top 10 Interesting Facts

The Bedlington Terrier dog breed originated as a killer of vermin and poacher's sidekick There are TOP 10 interesting facts about Bedlington Terrier. Make su...

A Bedlington loves to play, retrieve, jog, help with chores, or share your quiet moments. They will curl up in a little ball or become your inseparable companion as you read, write, sleep, drive, or just sit.  The Bedlington Terrier is graceful, alert, intelligent, and entertaining. They are characteristically inquisitive, perceptive, opinionated and affectionate. Their great love of people and particular joy with children endears them to young and old. [Bedlington Terrier Club of America]

Life Span: 12 - 15 years
Colors: Liver, Blue & Tan, Blue, Liver & Tan, Sandy & Tan, Sandy
Origin: Bedlington Terriers originated in from the town of Bedlington, Northumberland, England. It was originally bred to hunt vermin and badgers.
Size: 17 - 23 pounds
Height:  15  - 17 inches at the shoulder

In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

Nov-5

Belington Terriers - What's Good About 'Em, What's Bad About 'Em?

PROS:

1.  Is conveniently-sized – not too small and definitely not fragile
  2.  Is unusual-looking – a distinctive "little lamb" appearance
  3.  Is fast, agile, and graceful, with a light, springy gait
  4.  Is not a heavy shedder
  5.  Is less rowdy and calmer indoors than some other terriers

Read rest of article.

• Edited November 5, 2017 1:50 pm  by  PennyCC
In reply toRe: msg 2
PennyCC

Nov-5

In case you are thrown by the unusual clip that you see on some Bedlington Terriers, watch snippets of this dog's life where he shows that he is not a frou-frou doggie.

Claude the Bedlington terrier puppy grows up

Claude the Bedlington terrier puppy grows up. Highlights from the first two years of his life: December 2013 - December 2015. Music: Desmond Dekker, 007 (Sha...

• Edited November 5, 2017 1:51 pm  by  PennyCC
In reply toRe: msg 3
PennyCC

Nov-5

Caper runs fun lure coursing

Pam's Caper running the fun lure coursing at the 2011 TOPS in May.

ClickNTreat

Nov-9

Cool breed choice and I loved the videos. I don't think I've ever seen a Bedlington Terrier in person. Such interesting dogs. The terrier personality is like having lit firecrackers in the house. Fun and engaging, and overwhelming and frustrating, and bouncing between these things. Love them.

PennyCC

Nov-11

There are many terriers like the Bedlington that are so cute and in the size range that I like for my dogs, but I have always turned away from the "lit firecracker" personality of a terrier, fearing that the terrier would win any tug of wars we might have, literally and figuratively.  In the end, I have picked companion dogs like poodles and Portuguese Water Dogs that were not bred to be hunters, but to be companions and helpers.

But I secretly wish that one day I might live with a terrier to find out that my fears were not that important, and I could live with such an independent dog.

I do love the look of the Bedlington. I will have to get a closer look at them at the next dog show I go to.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Nov-12

I have been blessed to be owned by two Airedales plus at least three Airedale mixes.  My experience shows that they create mischief in such interesting, creative ways that it is IMPOSSIBLE to stay angry with them.  Example being my first 'dale girl who pulled a cushion off a chair, laid on that, and tore a newspaper to confetti.  When I got home, she immediately greeted me at the door, sat at my feet, and looked abashed; right away I knew something was up!  When I discovered the confetti, all I could do was laugh and ask her if she was sorry.

For terrier owners, I'd say the most important trait is a good sense of humor.  And enough humility to know that sometimes the dog WILL outwit you.  Truly, they do want to please you and work with you rather than against  you; they'll just get sidetracked sometimes.  They always do their best to please their human.

Cris in MT

I had never heard the "lit firecracker in the house" description before today but have adopted it as PERFECT!

Lyndy (Lyndy7)

Nov-13

This gorgeous dog has been featured in today's Delphi Daily News ~ Join In!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/news1/messages/?msg=2748.1