All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Does your cat like to be held?   Cats

Started Nov-11 by PennyCC; 101 views.
PennyCC

Nov-11

I think a lot of cats would rather not be held and people probably have to get them used to being held, especially a rescued cat.  But some cats want to be held from the get-go. They are SO over that aloof cat-like quality.  Here is one example.

• Edited November 11, 2017 10:42 am  by  PennyCC
Gaelspirit

Nov-12

Whenever I have gone to pick a kitten or cat, I always wait to see if they like to nuzzle me and be held, and if they did, I'd take them home. The only cat I didn't do that with is the one I have now, Andie, who was in a shelter for over 2 years. She was soooo afraid when I got her, and has come along nicely. She likes to lay by me on the couch, even napping with me now sometimes, but the only time I tried to pick her up so far she scratched the heck out of me. She's become very affectionate, but I don't think we are quite there yet. Still hoping for hug time tho one day! :)

PennyCC

Nov-12

Does Andie look like she would enjoy a kitty roommate? Then you could get another cat who likes to cuddle and be a companion for her.

For Andie's sake, I am very glad that she had you to take her out that shelter and give her a loving home.

Gaelspirit

Nov-12

I've thought of that, but have also found in the past when I had multiple cats (all boys then), that they fought a lot or played rough. But maybe another female would work...on the other hand, I think she kind of likes being the only one who gets attention now. When she was at the shelter, she was in a big room that had probably 12-15 cats roaming freely, and I was told she mostly hid under the bed or was up high in the rafters where they had perches set up. I think it was just too much for her there, even if they did take good care of them. She just never got a lot of attention from being so shy, people would stay away from her. Maybe some day I will get another cat, but for now this is all I can really handle, and every month she makes progress, so I am content letting her come out of her shell in her own time. :)  I'm glad she let me take her home and give her love and a good home too! She gives me a lot of love in return, and I'm good with that. :)