All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Winter Tips for Horse Care   Other Critters

Started Nov-24 by PennyCC; 113 views.
PennyCC

Nov-24

10 Winter Health Care Mistakes to Avoid

Ensure your horse stays healthy all season long by using common sense and avoiding these Top 10 winter horsekeeping mistakes

1. Letting his water freeze over.
A horse will not stay properly hydrated if his water is frozen. Snow and ice are no substitute for clean, unfrozen drinking water. Your horse’s risk of impaction colic is greatly increased if he doesn’t have access to unfrozen water at all times. If you live in a region that experiences below-freezing temperatures, invest in a heating device specifically designed for horse waterers and troughs. 

Read rest of article.

lhaolpa

Nov-29

I read the article,and there were some great points. I used to have some Quarter Horses and a few retired Thoroughbred mares,and with little Winter coat growth,they needed some help. I had some blankets made from scotchguard treated denim,and took the blankets off at night when I turned them out unless it was raining or snowing. At the time I was a Farrier,and dreaded Spring,when horse owners would deluge me with calls expecting me to remedy several months of neglect. I always told them that it would be better to have their hooves trimmed every 6 weeks than to allow the shoes to be thrown and tramp around in the mud with outgrown hooves until they finally shed the extra growth and ruined their hoof walls. They expected to go on a trail ride the next weekend after my visit,so I did what I could. I always fed more alfalfa during the Winter,as it keeps them in better shape for the cold. 

PennyCC

Nov-29

I think dog groomers feel the same as you when someone brings in a matted dog and the owner expects the dog to come out looking great. Instead the groomer has to shave the dog down to get out all the mats.

I have a question for you since you are a Farrier. What happens in the wild when horses have no one to take care of their hooves? Do they just shed the extra hoof growth and that is okay since no one is riding them?

lhaolpa

Nov-29

I was a farrier for about 15 years as my back could not stand the constant force. I started with race horses and throughout my career,I favored them as they are used to constant handling and are generally very calm when being shod. Horses who are neglected or even worse,spoiled by owners who may be afraid to clean their horse's hooves fight like a pitbull dog when being shod. I have been kicked,bitten,pawed and had 4 bones broken as well as had nails driven into my hands and knees before I had a chance to bend them. I had a spoiled Stallion kick and break my leg while trimming his hooves. As far as wild horses,they run and wander across different surfaces,and trim their hooves on the rocks and soak them in streams and muddy places,keeping them in fair shape. Early on,in Texas where I lived,many people "adopted" Mustangs from public lands and wanted them shod,despite my objections that they should be trimmed until trained. This was an expensive and dangerous process involving knocking the horses out,hogtying them and shoeing them on the ground.

PennyCC

Nov-30

Thank you for giving us this background about horse care. It is too bad that people don't take good advice when they receive it, especially when it affects animals and the safety of people caring for them.

• Edited November 30, 2017 10:16 am  by  PennyCC