All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Which is smarter? Dogs or Cats?   Pet Talk

Started Nov-30 by PennyCC; 150 views.
PennyCC

Poll Question From PennyCC

Nov-30

Which is smarter? Dogs or Cats?
  • Dogs are smarter than cats.1  vote
    12%
  • Cats are smarter than dogs.1  vote
    12%
  • I don't know which is smarter.6  votes
    75%
Dogs are smarter than cats. 
Cats are smarter than dogs. 
I don't know which is smarter. 
In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

Nov-30

There is a new study out which says dogs have it all over cats in the smarts department.

What is your opinion?

Vote in the poll, but please add your comments by replying below.

• Edited November 30, 2017 5:21 pm  by  PennyCC
In reply toRe: msg 2
PennyCC

Nov-30

Dogs Are Brainier Than Cats, New Study Finds

A new study has some ammunition for dog people everywhere.

The research, published in the journal Frontiers of Neuroanatomy, says dogs may be brainier than cats. That is, dogs have cerebral cortexes with twice as many neurons — the brain cells responsible for thought, planning and behavior – compared to cats. Scientists have associated neuron density with overall cognitive ability – i.e. intelligence.

Read rest of article.

Greg_LC

Dec-1

IMO - that kind of study is way too generic.  Just like people have a relatively large brain, not everyone uses it the same.  With 21 cats, we have a variety of personalities and intelligence levels.  Even among dog breeds, there is a wide variety of intelligence levels.

PennyCC

Dec-1

I think they admit in the article that the results are preliminary and not definitive, but interesting just to note that difference in the amount of cortical neurons in dog being about twice that of cats.

They also mention that raccoons had more cortical neurons than big bears, showing that the size of the animal does not necessarily dictate the amount of cortical neurons.

Greg_LC

Dec-1

Yup, Heck I know a few people that don't even have a clue what a cortical neuron is.............let alone, have any that are actually firing...  LOL

I would think it's more about the efficiency than the amount.........

krathyn (Phantom7031)

Dec-2

even in general,, the type of intelligence used by  cats is different than the type used by dogs, and both are smart, in their own way.

cats are primarily designed to catch  and play with and finally eat small prey and the average dog would be poor at this.

dogs are socialized to heel and roll over on command and the average cat does not do this.

I liked your comment about with a large group of cats you will find a variety of personalities and intelligence levels

In reply toRe: msg 7
DarkestWolf

Dec-2

Ok generally I think cats are very smart.

But dogs are smarter. But also this can be disproved.

My grandmother had a Siamese cat that knew 20 some commands or tricks including fetch. My dad had a Beagle that could hunt rabbits but couldn't even come when called. I think that cat was smarter then that dog. My fiancé's German Shepherd knows over 50 commands, she also knows how to herd sheep and bring a horse by her lead rope. This dog is smarter than both my cat a black domestic shorthair and my dog a German Shepherd who is very obedient but he is no way as smart as her dog and they are the same breed.

In other words it would depend on what dogs and what cats you would be testing and how? Not all breeds of dogs or breeds of cats are equal in the brains department.

PennyCC

Dec-3

So you are saying that it is comparing apples and oranges. But scientists keep trying to say this type of animal is smarter than that, which is what I think they are trying to do here.

Cats are obligate carnivores and are thus very oriented to be hunters in a solo capacity. So they are very different than canines who often hunt in packs.  So they do operate differently in play and interacting with us humans.