All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

FEATURED DOG: Newfoundland   Dogs

Started Dec-7 by PennyCC; 147 views.
PennyCC

Dec-7

FEATURED DOG:  Newfoundland

7 Dec 2017

Newfoundland dogs were originally bred and used as a working dog for fishermen in the Dominion of Newfoundland (which is now part of Canada). They are known for their giant size, intelligence, tremendous strength, calm dispositions, and loyalty. Newfoundland dogs excel at water rescue/lifesaving because of their muscular build, thick double coat, webbed feet, and innate swimming abilities.[wikipedia]

Life span: 8 – 10 years
Weight: Male: 130–150 lbs (60–70 kg), Female: 99–120 lbs (45–55 kg)
Temperament: Trainable, Sweet-Tempered, Gentle
Height: Male: 27–29 inches (69–74 cm), Female: 25–27 inches (63–69 cm)
Colors: Black, Black & White, Brown, Grey
Origin: Canada, England

In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

Dec-7

Dogs 101: Newfoundland

Watch More At: http://animal.discovery.com/videos/dogs-101-season-one/?smid=YTAPC-YTD-PLP Newfoundland is the most extreme waterdog on the planet! Learn more...

In reply toRe: msg 2
PennyCC

Dec-7

Lots of Newfies in a Pool!

River Bear Newfoundland Dog Pool Opening 2013

The Newfoundland pool opens for the summer of 2013!

In reply toRe: msg 3
PennyCC

Dec-7

Lyndy (Lyndy7)

Dec-8

This discussion has been featured in today's Delphi Daily News ~ Join In!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/news1/messages/?msg=2804.1

Gaelspirit

Dec-11

Every time I see a Newfie, I remember the one I had to groom years ago. Poor thing was quite matted, and my co-workers said I should just shave him down, which I always hated to do to a dog anyway. His owner asked to try and save the fur if possible, and that's what I did. Took me a few hours to work on him and I think it cost over $100, but the customer was so thankful and said his dog never looked so good, gave me a nice tip too...I was happy I didn't have to shave him down, in spite of the difficult job. They are such nice dogs, the ones I have met anyway! 

PennyCC

Dec-11

I think Newfies are great too.  I worked with a guy who had two of them. One day them jumped on him while playing and hurt his neck. He finally got better but he had to get physical therapy for a while.

The big dogs are wonderful but we have to take care around them.

I am glad you were able to help that dog and did not have to shave him.

Greg_LC

Dec-11

I brushed out a Chow and had a friend for life.........  She really enjoyed that.  When I got done, had a pile of hair that would have made a nice doghair blanket........  LOL

Gaelspirit

Dec-11

Wow, poor guy! They don't realize how big they are sometimes, but you're right, always have to be careful. :)

Gaelspirit

Dec-11

Oh, that must have been a job and a half! I'm sure she loved you for it :)