Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Crimes of War   World Wide WTF?

Started 10/16/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 140133 views.
Harold27Z

3/19/20

Thanks for sharing the KGB story.  I was unaware until now.

Di (amina046)

3/19/20

You sure do not play by them!

Di (amina046)

3/19/20

and you do not have proof that it happened.

BerrySteph

3/20/20

Di (amina046) said:

and you do not have proof that it happened.

Rather absurd for Harold to claim he's unaware of this story. Has he lived in a box?

But I think its apocryphal - in fact, I'm almost sure it is. The Russians had absolutely no intelligence capable of finding their hostages and Israel was likely behind this campaign aimed at driving Americans out of Lebanon.

I'm excited to discover that Israel was very likely behind the 1983 Marine Barracks bombing in Beirut. But staggered that, although the evidence is in relatively plain view, nobody has campaigned against the perpetrators.

The story is told at the Wackypedia:

Former Mossad agent Victor Ostrovsky, in his 1990 book By Way of Deception, has accused the Mossad of knowing the specific time and location of the bombing, but only gave general information to the Americans of the attack, information which was worthless. According to Ostrovsky, then Mossad head Nahum Admoni decided against giving the specific details to the Americans on the grounds that the Mossad's responsibility was to protect Israel's interests, not Americans. Admoni denied having any prior knowledge of the attack.[150]

Benny Morris, in his review of Ostrovsky's book, wrote that Ostrovsky was "barely a case officer before he was fired; most of his (brief) time in the agency was spent as a trainee" adding that due to compartmentalization "he did not and could not have had much knowledge of then current Mossad operations, let alone operational history." Benny Morris wrote that the claim regarding the barracks was "odd" and an example of one of Ostrovsky's "wet" stories which were "mostly fabricated."[151] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombings

Typically, they brush off the claims by attacking the source. When Ostrovosky's 1990 book seems credible in all respects (major and minor) that I can tell and his 1994 book uses weasel words to unconvincingly walk the story back.

Benny Morris is of course an "interesting historian" in the best tradition of what appeals to Adwil. His books are full of blatantly weasel words, even as he lays bare big portions of the genocide.

bml00

3/20/20

BerrySteph said:

The Russians had absolutely no intelligence capable of finding their hostages and Israel was likely behind this campaign

There You go -the Russians had no intelligence .......................................... Berry definitely has no intelligence , the Russians I am sure had and have

BM

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/20/20

I don't even know what the accusation is.

In reply toRe: msg 388
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/20/20

Harold27Z

3/20/20

We practice duelling with water-pistols.

Harold27Z

3/20/20

What were foreign soldiers doing in Afghanistan in the first place ?

SquaddyB

3/20/20

Jennifer, good morning. No, you cant claim that, not without knowing what led up to the shooting.

Clutching a rosary means squat. A lot of horrendous terrorist crimes have been committed under the guise of religion.