Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

News from The Netherlands   The U.K and Europe

Started Oct-16 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 165 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-16

Di (amina046)

Oct-16

There used to be stories about people in Japan and in Guam who were hiding for years, not knowing the war was over.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-17

No clue yet as to what they thought they were hiding from, or if they were being held against their will.

BerrySteph

Oct-17

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

A Dutch bar owner describes the moment a man who escaped a secret basement in a farmhouse asked for help.

I'd have thought this story was entirely straightforward - the farmer had employees with mental or other problems, they made themselves homeless elsewhere and were squatting in their place of employment. Some of them turned violent and he (or the others) locked them up outside of work time.

Was he still paying them something, or were they living as members of the family?

One of them went into a bar for the first time in years, and he had money but obviously very little. Presumably wasn't paying them, exchanging work for food and housing.

The farmer has been arrested for slavery - but the workers would not have chosen to leave were it not they'd been dragged off. I think its essentially a non-story.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-18

Got more information on this.

BerrySteph

Oct-18

The 67-year-old father of six is facing unlawful deprivation of liberty, abuse and money laundering charges.

My apologies for going off like a rocket but my version may not be so far from the truth.

Initial reports in local media suggested the family believed the end of time was coming. Police say they are still determining exactly what the mindset of the family was.

"We know that they have lived there a very secluded life, and they've adopted a lifestyle that is very personal to them," Ms Horsman said.

"I'm not quite sure how to describe that yet … if it's a religion or if it's just a way of living."

The 67-year-old father of the children is alleged to have conspired with a 58-year-old man arrested earlier on suspicion of unlawful deprivation of liberty and money laundering.

The man appeared at court overnight and was detained for a further 14 days.

Authorities in Vienna have confirmed that their Dutch counterparts have informed them the 58-year-old is an Austrian national.

So the 58 year old is presumably the farmer, the 67-year old father of the kids was, maybe, working on the farm long-time, lost his wife and/or his home, brought the kids onto the farm (maybe hid them in a barn for a while?) and they all gradually slipped into a position of enslavement.

And theft of their state benefits? Or cannabis cultivation?

The 58 year old Austrian is presumably locked up while the father has been arrested as a formality only.

The level of enslavement in the UK is supposed to be going up - I can see it getting much worse after Brexit and will probably have to be ignored.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-19

Not sure if it was life in a bunker, or just life in seclusion.

BerrySteph

Oct-19

Not sure if it was life in a bunker, or just life in seclusion.

This is it.

This case probably is modern-day slavery in law - but its hard to see how it can be fought, when the victims cannot be rescued. Nobody else will want them as workders.

Nor, in reality, can they be paid a minimum wage - either in their place of enslavement or anywhere else.

Maybe the best society can do is insist that the "family" has private accomodation and security for their goods. 

The 58 year old Austrian farmer has been arrested (is he locked up?) and is said to have lots of cash. What's he been doing - diddling the social security system? Growing cannabis?

I don't think we're getting the full story - or even parts of a real story.