Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ageism   General Confusion

Started Nov-8 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 285 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

BerrySteph

Nov-8

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

You don't have to have been born between 1946 and 1964 to feel confused about the OK boomer phenomenon.

Steve Cuozzo, a boomer writing for the New York Post, wrote that the hate was "totally unjustified":

"If they spent more time studying actual history, which can't easily be found on iPhones, they'd know that boomers were, and remain, the most socially and environmentally conscious generation America ever has ever known."

But another, The Los Angeles Times' Mary McNamara, said she was on the side of the young people using the phrase:

"'OK, boomer' isn't about history or culture; it's just the latest iteration of 'OK, grandpa'. Which stings, of course it does, but guess what? This is exactly how it's supposed to work. Social progression is fuelled in large part by generational tension."

On Twitter, people on both sides of the generational divide just poked fun at each other/

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Teenagers rebel against their parents.

Every generation wants to be better than the last.

So you have good and bad with that.

The good is that if your father is a racist, homophobic idiot, you will rebel by being the opposite - if only to piss him off.

The bad is parents are raising self entitled shits with no respect for others, because they were never disciplined as children.  I'm not talking about beating the shit out of your kids, but there has to be a line of what is acceptable behaviour and what is not.  Kids ALWAYS toe that line to see what they can get away with.

BerrySteph

Nov-9

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Kids ALWAYS toe that line to see what they can get away with.

I think we have a case of cultural confusion - kids in my experience refuse to toe the line.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Maybe I meant push the envelope?

bml00

Nov-9

I was a rebel, my mother was a rebel for sure my daughter was awful , my nephew the same BUT you can’t beat city hall and ultimately we fall into line , that is how we are

BM

Harold27Z

Nov-10

Aged maybe 5 or 6, I recall making a noise.  My mother warned me several times to stop.  I wondered if she meant what she said about slapping me.  So I pushed my luck until i got slapped.  I did not mind getting slapped, which I deserved, because it satisfied by genuine curiosity.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Nov-23