Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Australia on Fire   Australia and Oceania

Started 11/13/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 22454 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-27

Hopefully this will make a difference this summer.

RRBud

Sep-27

Hi Jen,

I most sincerely wish this effort all the success in the world!  The indigenous peoples there in Australia, just as our own here in the USA, had found out what worked to keep the wildlands healthy, and if properly done it does indeed work!  But too many white people never have learned the what, when, where, why and how of what's involved in that.  The result?  - - well, last year in Australia, this year along the USA's West Coast - - -

I don't like to see forests and wildlands burning, but it needs to be done properly.  Just as, when I was a young man, I used to see farmers burning off the stubble from various fields.  Then that was shut down by "environmentalists" who understood nothing more than those fires were putting smoke into the air.  Of course it was, but it was also benefitting the soil and increasing the next year's crop yield.

Take care!

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-29

Given the strong similarities to the climates in Australia and California, if it works here it could be applied there.

RRBud

Sep-29

Oh, it works when properly done.  And therein lies the rub - - I can't say about what's likely in Australia, but here in Crazyfornia the government will screw it up by purring ignorant and agenda-driven people in charge, trying to do the controlled burns at the wrong time of year, not burning the right areas - - - basically, they'll invent ways to louse it up that the indigenous people had discarded thousands of years ago.

You're right, I have less than NO faith in the current government of California.  Well, that's not quite true.  I have faith they'll politicize everything and mess it up beyond anything they're able to repair, then blame the problems on somebody else who had nothing to do with it.  Probably President Trump, if he's still in office next year.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

What do you know of the environmental policies in Washington state and Colorado?

They seemed to be on fire too.  Are they still?

RRBud

Oct-1

I don't have their actual printed environmental policies, but those two States are run by people just about as far Left-wing and divorced from reality as is California.  I DO know that they've been following some of the same lunatic practices of not performing necessary forest and wildland management, even to the point of tearing out firefighting access roads (because they could double as logging roads - - basically, dirt tracks.)

But in addition to their poor maintenance practices, those two States have more than their fair share of lunatic Leftists bent on destroying everything normal people like - - so there have been literally dozens if not in fact hundreds of arson fires in those States as well as in California.

I'm afraid that I would likely mistreat an arsonist if I found one who had just lit off a fast-growing wildfire - - would be very tempted to duct-tape the perp to a tree in the immediate path of the fire and then just walk away.  No, when it comes to things like this I'm not a good man.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

OK, a lot of anger at the left there.

If all these states were suddenly controlled by Republicans, then STILL BURNED (I know you will outright refuse that possibility, saying the righteous right will magically fix everything wrong with the environment in a day), would you let go of some of the hate?

RRBud

Oct-2

This may surprise you, but - - first, yes, I have a LOT of anger and dislike for our political Left in this State and in MY country.  And for the squish "Republicans" who are all too often almost indistinguishable from those Leftists.  Let's just say I have reasons!

But no, were Republicans - - not squishes, but actually realistic people genuinely trying to serve our people per the Constitution - - to be as uncaring and lax about what goes on in our State (and our country, but that's a bit larger an issue) I'd hit them equally hard.  Possibly harder, because they're supposed to be not-Left!

It's a very long story, but what used to be respected environmental groups such as the Sierra Club became infected with Leftists, and those people began to push for the cessation of all logging, claiming it endangered - - oh, the spotted owl, for example.  Not a credible claim, as there are spotted owls all over the American Northwest - and east all the way to the Atlantic, but most people aren't aware of that reality.  Eventually they got people so mis-informed that these 3 States pretty much shut down logging, then wanted to remove all signs that people had ever been there in the first place - - - one idea was to let the forests (State and Federal) revert to their "natural" condition.  Which they slowly did, with the results we see now.

Our indigenous people understood about using fire to clear underbrush, and also understood that you don't want trees to become overcrowded, or they all weaken, weak trees attract and are not able to resist bark beetle infestations, and one gets large stands of dead trees - - and ever more underbrush.  One day along comes a spark, or a carelessly discarded cigarette, and you lose a million acres of wildland (and lots of communities and people) in very short order.

I was raised in the National Parks - - I've watched the evolution of policies regarding wildfire control, preventive burning to reduce undergrowth, what happened when logging operations were stopped in nearby and adjacent lands.  And I've watched the never-ending encroachment of political Left-wing ideas and policies on reasonable, workable wildland management - - and on our schooling, but that, too, is a different topic.  The end result, however, is people being made too ignorant and too agenda-driven to recognize what's happening right before their own eyes.  And not exclusively when it comes to land management, whether wildlands or privately held lands.  Basically, ALL proper care for those lands stops.

So yes, a lot of justifiable anger at our political Left in these Western States.  And not exclusively because of the destruction of our forests and the attendant human losses of property, but also life.  In all too many areas of governmental responsibility, their approach is akin to your mechanic keeping you from performing needed maintenance on your car's engine, drivetrain, and tires while telling you that you needed a flashy new paint job every year.  And that you weren't allowed to replace the car when it failed.

Sorry for the rant.  Well, maybe not so sorry, because work HAS to get out that our wildfires are one inevitable result of putting incompetent, agenda-driven people into ANY position of responsibility for the condition of our resources.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

As rants go, it was wonderfully articulate.

Your points are always carefully considered and well made.

Incompetent, agenda driven people exist on both sides of the aisle, however.

After each fire season here we just have another Royal Commission - the findings of which are ignored.  Either side can be in power, both can fail to do anything equally.

RRBud

Oct-3

Agreed - - we find FAR too many ignorant, arrogant, self-centered, careless scoundrels all across the political spectrum.  They're drawn to politics and power like flies to - - well, you know.  None of us need them!