Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jaguar and / or Rolls Royce   Vent Your Spleen!

Started Feb-5 by Harold27Z; 1418 views.
Harold27Z

Feb-5

Suppose you drove a Mickey Mouse car like a Peugeot or a GDR Brabant or whatever.  Suppose it's bonnet was graced with a Jaguar or Rolls Royce symbol.  And Jaguar or Rolls Royce found out.   They would prosecute for violations of patented invention copyrights and debasement of intellectual property branding value. 

Even liberals would agree such prosecution was warranted to retain the goodwill value of such products and avoid fake confusion.

Fine.

But by the same token, those same liberals would deny our right to not to preserve our brand of DNA which created those inventions in the first place.

What is so inherently shameful about preserving quality ?  Horse-breeders do so every day.

Disclaimer: Alas no liberals were harmed nor offended in the conceptualization of this posting, only in the publication thereof.

bml00

Feb-5

My brother and I own our late mothers Shadow 11 one of the last produced in 1980 , 22k miles FSH with Rolls Royce , it had last year  full respray £27k 

I own an EType S111 DHC 

BM

In reply toRe: msg 2
Harold27Z

Feb-5

How do you reconcile favouring quality over quantity except in the political arena ?

bml00

Feb-5

My Father came from abject poverty and promised mum a Royce when they got married, he was potless , 7 years later with 9 shops to his name he arrived home with a cloud 1 

He died 6 months later but the die was cast 

Having had them my entire life I actually don’t give them much thought , the kids think it looks like a bus , I have not driven it in a year or more 

It is stored near Heathrow in a security garage with about 200 other cars some worth millions

BM 

In reply toRe: msg 4
Harold27Z

Feb-5

It sounds like your dad worked himself to death before he could enjoy the fruit of his labour. 

I had an instinctive gift for winding people up.  I often spoke on CB radio using a snobby BBC dialect.  I declared I only wanted to speak with other equally gifted snobs, not the riff-raffs.  I demanded reserved channels for upper-crust gentlemen.  There was a white Bentley or some other fancy car nearby with about 4 antenna which I pretended was mine.

Another time, I was on CB and someone rang the landline warning me to get off the air because a shady character was looking for me.  The shady guy was an ex-Vietnam vet who just wanted to introduce me to his gang of CB users. 

bml00

Feb-5

He was a heavy smoker in a time when most people literally smoked themselves to death , he loved life , a real bruiser of a man , missed him everyday of my life.

He was the epitome of nouveau riche and he loved it .

When he was diagnosed with Lung Cancer he was operated on by the then Kings surgeon Sir Clement Price Thomas but they could not save the king or my Father 

BM

In reply toRe: msg 6
Harold27Z

Feb-5

Back in the day, there were no warning signs on packets.  As a kid, my parents did not smoke so I despised everyone who did. 

My dad ensured my hair was short.   Imagine my disgust when, aged 9, I found out a friend's dad had long-hair like a hippy.

My dad had no moustache or beard so I despised scruffy people who had.  I ordered an adult friend to cut the moustache off someone else.  He humoured me but was only pretending.

bml00

Feb-5

Dad had an moustache apparently forever he had five further brothers one of whom also had a moustache 

Both my parents smoked my mother lived to 83 her mother also a smoker lasted even longer 

BM

In reply toRe: msg 2
SQUADDYB

Feb-7

Do you remember the controversy over Lennon painting his RR?  If memory serves me right, RR instructed their authorized dealers not to perform routine maintenance or repairs on said vehicle?

https://designyoutrust.com/2019/01/the-story-behind-john-lennons-psychedelic-rolls-royce-phantom-v/

bml00

Feb-7

In my days in Blighty I used to see the car often outside what was the Beatles Apple Corp HQ in Savile Row .

Back in the 60's one of Blighty's best known Romantic Writers of absolute crap was Dame Barbara Cartland who went Jack Barclays in Berkley Square to order a WHITE Royce , she was refused because RR deemed it inappropriate , she threatened to sue them if the did not supply the car in the color she wanted - she actually started the trend towards the car becoming less pompous

In the mid 50's when my Father walked into the same Showroom with a large bag of cash to order a new one , the salesman actually did not consider my Father a suitable client (honestly) this large East Ender was not RR material , it appears that my father asked for the Manager opened the bag and said you want it or not - the deal was struck .

Go back a few years and that very specific jam jar was as snobby as Eaton and they tried very hard to keep it that way , it was toss pots who had done well that broke the mould

BM

• Edited February 7, 2020 11:58 am  by  bml00