Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Education   America - all of it

Started Feb-11 by Di (amina046); 1389 views.
katiek2

Feb-12

Yep, and those were the honor students...

RGoss99

Feb-16

There have always been dumb or ignorant people. Finding them is not limited to any specific country. Giving one example, the letteers "t" and "d" produce the same sounds in many instances. So it rather easy to confuse "tutor" and "Tudor", especially in America where the majority would not recognize the names of the varios houses of the English monarchy, as I doubt if any American high school has a specific course in English history.

Personal example: while most written comunication is in the Latin alphabet, the sound result depends on the local language. My given name is "Richard", but living in a Catalan speaking área, waiting for my name to be called, I often did not recognize it. But when I changed the spelling to "Ritxart" I never had another problema recognizing it.

As evidence of this in standard English spelling the past tense of "jumped" and "leapt" lis the same sound produced by two different letters. Usually in English the letters "sh" as in shoes have the same sound as "ch" in machine. This is because when we say "coach" we inseret an unspelled |t| sound before the "ch". In the local language here, the sound of |x| is the same as standard English "sh" and the sound of |tx|, spelled "tx" is more consistant then English when saying "church" which phoneticly here would be spelled "txurtx" 

Note that I agree that many of the examples are just stupidity, but even these are not justification to crit the American education "system[s]". At the same time, I agree that it bad and way out of date, but such trivial random examples do a disservice because they distract people from focusing on the real problems which are often political in nature..

Di (amina046)

Feb-16

Knowing that I used to eat txistorra as a child would have saved you a lot of typing.

RGoss99

Feb-16

But I did not know this, and if I did it would not have changed much, since it is the nature of sites such as this to be read by others many of whom would not know txistorra from "xorizo" or "salchichón". Aside only know the Word "txistorra" as a Euskerra word, basicly a typical Basque sausage only known here because of the connection between the Basque country and Aragó. Do you fit into either category? In Spanish speaking Spain, the letter "x" is often an clue to a word not of Latin origin.

In reply toRe: msg 6
MEDDLY

Feb-16

"an clue"... WHAT AN IDIOT!

In reply toRe: msg 7
RGoss99

Feb-18

What a troll - in this case having nothing intelligent to say about a legitimate discusión, the only way to get notied is by trolling. In this case a thread hijacking to suppress a conversation in which you have no interest.

"Idiot" what is idiotic about what I posted?

In reply toRe: msg 8
MEDDLY

Feb-18

Idiot blurted...

a legitimate discusión

Same Idiot squawked...

the only way to get notied

Comments anyone (besides the Idiot)?

RGoss99

Feb-21

And so the trolling hijacking continues, further justifying my on topic resonse to you. (wank)