Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Niqab, burka and veils   The U.K and Europe

Started 2/20/20 by Di (amina046); 3808 views.

RGoss99 said...

Of course it is OK to correct me, you were right, and that is OK

Of course.

Que Bonita Es Esta Vida

RGoss99

2/29/20

As I said the British tradition was based on older technology, sword knife for defense suggests right shoulders, rifle sggests left, monetary system going back to Roman times LSD (reason for the letter "L" for pound and "d" for pence) In France the overthrow of the monarchy meant a move to more modern efficient systems, as France was our ally against the U.K. we identified with this shift. So chucking our monarchy, also meant chucking many of its symbols. Thus decimal currency, and passing left shoulders, which, as a result of Napoleón took over all of Europe. (Sweden was the last hold out for passing right, but changed during my life time - lots of accidents on change over morning). But now America has become the foot dragging conservative one reasons why American cars are not popular here because like American artillery going metric, no one wants to work on American cars here because being English measures, small garages need a second set of tools. 

In the early 70s, when BRitain went metric (leaving Amereica the only English measuring system), there were some strange anomolies. My department in Scotland had the first metric building, the problema was that the materials were still English for a while. so nothing fit. glass was quarteer inch thick, bricks had to be cut, etc. For example, building my BBQ was easy when bricks are 5x10x20 separated by 1. Here while metric is the standard we still have some hold overs, in the medieval system in language and cooking. So I have a cookbook with a slide rule in the back to accomodate American/English/Medieval/metric. sets for measuring things. Example an American cup is 8 ounces, British is 10 which means a 25% difference for pints, quarts, gallons, horses are measured in hands, instead of 12 thumbs = a foot, 3 feet equal a vara, 1000 varas a league, we measure in meter and decimal units which is universal because our old vara is longer then a yard, and shorter then a meter. France, and America even adjusted the Calendar because Washington celebrated his birthday in January, before the calendar was corrected - reason for Octoberfest in November, April fair in May, Orthodox Christmas in January. In other words during the American Revolution America and Britain were using two different Calenders. We still have some strange hold overs, for example Christmas, New Years, and the the Winter solstice should all be on the same day. The main practical reason in the American revolution was that with Britain the enemy, our weapon standards had to come from France, English bullets did not fire right from French-American rifles, canon balls from canons. In Scotland today, even though metric, people are still weighed in stones. In America we have the hundred yard dash, a problem competing with the rest of the world when it is 100 meters. Only swimming in America is in meters. Of course different countries need different currency but with the world decimal now decimal, I had no problema figuring costs in Romanian li, and Turkish lira, but look at the complications when dealing with the old english system of 4 farthings to the penny, 12 pennies to the Schilling, 20 shilings to the pound, or 21 to the guinea, in adition to crowns, half crowns and hapennies. So with the change over 12d became 5p, a florin became 10p, 10s became 50p and all the others were dropped but they did not have to change the slots in the machines. In Scotland the one reminder of the old system I remember was the Tay Bridge, which wa 2s6d became 12.5p but there was no coin for 2.5p, so people saved the old 6d coin in their car ash tray for crossing the bridge. To prep for the change a year in advance paskages in the English system had a wierd decimal number in brackets, then after the decimal number was the standard with a wierd English number. Example a today 1k sack of sugar 2.2 lbs. In America a pint of beer does not put you over the limit when driving, but in the U.K. it does.

VW had a great add promoting its good milege which was sort of dishonest. On a hilside was a kilted Scot (meme for cheap) with sheep in the background and a VW, saying I crossed Scotland 20 times on one 10 gallons of gas. The lie is that at that point Scotland is only 50 miles wide, and 10 gallons in Scotland is 12.5 gallons in America. With cooking one reason why some English recepes taste bland is that whild measures of flour are larger herbs and spices in teaspoons are the same, so the result is less flavor. 

RGoss99

2/29/20

The problema with your point is that the meaning and agenda of zionists did not start in 1882, zionism has always been a goal since the diáspora which corresponded to persecution of Jews by Christians. You are confusing a specific political agenda, with an ancient word. For example my village had its start with the fall of Islam in Mallorca, about 1238, but our monastery is "Montesion" suggesting that "zionism" here goes back almost 800 years. 

SQUADDYB

2/29/20

I do mock Christians sometimes - in order to preach a gospel of humility and gentleness and poverty there has to be a religion that is proud and aggressive and rich.<

Spoken like a true Islamic

SQUADDYB

2/29/20

It's classical entertainment, but some time the shite is so bad that you have to give them a bitch slapping or four!

bml00

2/29/20

berry "in order to preach a gospel of humility and gentleness"

THESE QUOTES SHOULD BE HUNG IN MUSEUMS

BerrySteph

2/29/20

RGoss99 said:

The problema with your point is that the meaning and agenda of zionists did not start in 1882, zionism has always been a goal since the diáspora

Moving to Palestine was forbidden under the "Three Oaths", a prohibition that was totally adhered to for some 1200 years.

RGoss99 said:

always been a goal since the diáspora which corresponded to persecution of Jews by Christians. 

Hardly - the diaspora is said to go back to the Romans - but that's false. There was no such ethnic cleansing (cannot have been - Judaism reached its peak of learning and wealth under the Romans). 

RGoss99 said:

You are confusing a specific political agenda, with an ancient word. For example my village had its start with the fall of Islam in Mallorca, about 1238, but our monastery is "Montesion" suggesting that "zionism" here goes back almost 800 years. 

I think you're the one who is confusing religion and land-grabbing.

RGoss99

2/29/20

True about wealh and learning and also true that the Roman ethnic cleansing was not true, but the racist thing started with the Christians about the same time as the "Return" thing. Yes, the Jews did well from the PreChristian Romans, much better then under the Egyptians, Assyrians, Persians but the part of the false myth that is true is that after Christ (around 75 a.d.)  they rebelled and lost their relative autonomy as a result. Remember that into the time of Christ they had Roman approved Jewish client kings. In Rome, the column of Trajan about 100 a.d. shows recognizeable loot from the Second Jewish temple. 

Aside: there are many false stories about conquerors ethnic cleaansing. What these usually boil down to is that the conquerors wiped out the ruleing establishment, and took over, often intermarried and settled dwn. Parallel example when the Vikings took the Isle of Man, they settled in with local wives. This shows because conqueror name places (Manx place names are Viking) but mothers teach kids to speak and the Manx language is gaelic. the same thing goes for Carthage, just because they lost the Punic Wars and the Romans symbolicly sewed salt in their fields, does not mean the Carthaginians did not end up ancesters of Tunisians today. In the case of Palestin, not only were Muslims (arabs or phoenicians) displaced but also Christians, and in some cases Jewish land owners also.

bml00

3/1/20

The 3 oaths as mentioned by Berry DID NOT FORBID THE JEWS TO RETURN TO ISRAEL - The rebuttal to this can be found in innumerable Talmudic discussions going back to the days of Babylon with many oral and written debates taking place on the meaning of this Midrash .

BM

BerrySteph

3/1/20

bml00 said:

The 3 oaths as mentioned by Berry DID NOT FORBID THE JEWS TO RETURN TO ISRAEL - The rebuttal to this can be found in innumerable Talmudic discussions going back to the days of Babylon with many oral and written debates taking place on the meaning of this Midrash 

Your understanding of Talmudic discussions is laughably poor.

You told me that Zionism was invented in Vilnius (now the capital of Lithuania) round about 1800. You could be right.

However, you also insist that it has a religious basis and that the "Gaon of Vilna" (actually, you said he came from the West Coast of India!) was a hugely important sage - and this document, widely seen today eg at Bar Mitzvahs is proof of it.

In a series of messages that youi've now deleted you insisted that this text was 200 years old and came from the above mentioned "Goan (sic!) of Vilna"

BM --->>>> PLEASE TRANSLATE

So I told you - it looks like Greek written in a Hebrew script to me.

And I was right - its actually a portion of the Bible (Book of Jonah, 2000 years old) and absolutely nothing to do with this Lithuanian extremist and his followers who were presumably expelled from their community in Vilnius - and later expelled from Safed (and Tiberius?).