Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Budrus   Africa and the Middle East

Started Feb-26 by ramseylurker; 542 views.
ramseylurker

Feb-26

Budrus is an award-winning feature documentary film about Palestinian community organizer, Ayed Morrar, who unites Palestinian political factions and invites Israeli supporters to join an unarmed movement to save his village of Budrus from destruction by Israel’s Separation Barrier. Success eludes them until his 15-year-old daughter, Iltezam, launches a women’s contingent that quickly moves to the front lines. Struggling side by side, father and daughter unleash an inspiring, yet little-known, movement in the Occupied Palestinian Territories that is still gaining ground today. In an action-filled documentary chronicling this movement from its infancy, Budrus shines a light on people who choose nonviolent strategies to confront a threat.

While this film is about one Palestinian village, it tells a much bigger story about what is possible in the Middle East. Ayed succeeded in doing what many people believe to be impossible: he united feuding Palestinian political groups, including Fatah and Hamas; he brought women to the heart of the struggle by encouraging his daughter Iltezam's leadership; and welcoming hundreds of Israelis to cross into Palestinian territory for the first time and join this nonviolent effort. Many of the activists who joined the villagers of Budrus are now continuing to support nonviolence efforts in villages from Bil’in to Nabi Saleh to Hebron to Sheikh Jarrah in East Jerusalem.

While many documentaries about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict either romanticize the notion of peace, or dwell entirely on the suffering of victims to the conflict, this film focuses on the success of a Palestinian-led unarmed struggle..

BerrySteph

Feb-26

ramseylurker said:

this film focuses on the success of a Palestinian-led unarmed struggle..

Commendable. 

ramseylurker

Mar-15

BerrySteph said...
ramseylurker said:

this film focuses on the success of a Palestinian-led unarmed struggle..

Commendable. 

Did you watch it? Just curious. You wouldn't watch the one about gay Palestinians.

In reply toRe: msg 3
ramseylurker

Mar-15

How about you? Did you watch it? I know you watched the one about gay Palestinians.

In reply toRe: msg 1
ramseylurker

Mar-15

I'm going to bow out and let the two of you discuss it. After you both watch it, of course.

BerrySteph

Mar-15

ramseylurker said:

Did you watch it? Just curious. You wouldn't watch the one about gay Palestinians.

No, I did not watch it.

Its not just the unarmed resistance of the last 70 years that was smashed - its the fact that the Palestinians are not being punished so hideously for their violence towards anyone.

They're being punished so hideously because they were childishly gentle and tolerant towards the stick and gun-wielding thugs who trickled into Palestine from 1882.

In fact, it was Palestinian hospitality and tolerance towards weird-minded pilgrims and their care of the shrines of three different religions that first brought the Jews and then the Zionists to Palestine in the first place.

The land-grabbers were intent on beating robbing and killing people from their homes right from the start, as their 1882 letters prove (the Wiki has a few under "First Aliyah"). By 1919 the Zionists (Chaim Weizmann at the Peace Conference) were boasting that they wanted the whole of Palestine (well beyond the borders later put on the Mandate) and they wanted it cleared of all Christians and Muslims.

But then - I think all of us knew this perfectly well all along, didn't we?

While this film is about one Palestinian village, it tells a much bigger story about what is possible in the Middle East. Ayed succeeded in doing what many people believe to be impossible: he united feuding Palestinian political groups, including Fatah and Hamas; he brought women to the heart of the struggle by encouraging his daughter Iltezam's leadership; and welcoming hundreds of Israelis to cross into Palestinian territory for the first time and join this nonviolent effort. Many of the activists who joined the villagers of Budrus are now continuing to support nonviolence efforts in villages from Bil’in to Nabi Saleh to Hebron to Sheikh Jarrah in East Jerusalem.

Back in 2009 it may have been possible to believe in this - in fact, around about 2014 it really appeared we were going to beat this apartheid regime and, if not let the people back to their homes, at least stop the ongoing atrocity. 

However, there was a little appreciated change in Israel in 2011 - the Zionist extremists (including BM) dumped any residual talk of peace and announced there would be "Eternal Conflict".

Holocaust II in other words, maybe with WW3.

I wonder how many people will be left alive in Gaza in a years time. Population down from 1.8 million to what?

Believe it or not, we will most likely never be allowed to know. In fact, we've no way of knowing what the population there is there now, it may be much, much less than we're told already.

ramseylurker

Mar-15

BerrySteph said...

No, I did not watch it.

Thank you for answering my yes or no question.

Given your lack of interest in the topic, there is no need for you to post further in this thread, unless you change your mind, of course.

Maybe BM will have some relevant comments after watching it. 

Once again, I'll bow out.

Have a nice day!

BerrySteph

Mar-15

ramseylurker said:

Given your lack of interest in the topic, there is no need for you to post further in this thread, unless you change your mind, of course.

I have a great interest in the topic of unarmed resistance by Palestinians, it amply bolster other parts of what I can see concerning this atrocity.

But the film is from 2009 - the people in that film have been defeated by brutal racists in a sadistic and disgusting fashion. 

ramseylurker

Mar-15

BerrySteph said...

But the film is from 2009

Spoken like a young man.

I met my great-grand daughter for the first time, yesterday.

It was my birthday.

She was born a week ago, so my great-grand daughter is even younger than you. She's the future. 

I'm sure that you can find a manlier thread to post in.

Bye, now!

(*ignore*)

Macho Man - The Village People

bml00

Mar-15

There is no unity between Hamas and the PA , each are the others throat , Hamas would take over the WB in hours if not for the IDF being there to stop them and once in the WB they are 30 to 40 minutes from Tel Aviv and minutes from Jerusalem .

There is no doubt that from time to time a common struggle appears which each side vies for political ascendency with each others populous .

Hamas is a military terrorist group responsible for DOZENS of suicide bombings and thousands of rockets lobbed into Israel , the PA has by and large seen the light of day and rarely is implicated in terrorists outrages (I do not include the spate of knifings of recent date which have not been shown to be PA inspired )

About 3 weeks ago I went from Tel Aviv to the WB to meet customers in an Industrial Estate , it took 35 minutes by car , IF Hamas were to take over the WB it would become a Battle Ground

When you see such drivel as " They're being punished so hideously because they were childishly gentle and tolerant towards the stick and gun-wielding thugs who trickled into Palestine from 1882."  logical debate is not possible , sorry , I wont waste your time

BM