Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Palm Sunday Mass with Pope Francis 2020   Religion

Started Apr-5 by ramseylurker; 478 views.
ramseylurker

Apr-5

Holy Week 2020 | Palm Sunday Mass with Pope Francis

Streamed live 2 hours ago

LIVE from St. Peter's Basilica | Join the Holy Father live from Vatican City as he celebrates the Holy Mass for Palm Sunday and recites the Angelus to an empty Church and Square amidst the COVID19 pandemic.

Category: Education

RGoss99

Apr-5

Nice clip (we had no service in our Cathedral but the local region TV station proadcase the same service live from Rome). 

I don´t know about your personal tradition, but the bleached braided palm frond at the opening is fairly common here, though we don´t use the words "Palm Sunday"*. After Easter the one someone in the family carries on "Palm Sunday" is attached to an outside balcony facing the Street, and remains there until carnaval. In the churches, these are burned, and the ashes are used for Ash Wednesday the following year. In many other cases, one sees a palm frond stuck between the image of Christ and the cross on the crucifix, usually in the kitchen or dining room.

Here is a commentary that sort of shoots down those Protestants who treat the Bible as the absolute infalible Word of God. This never occured to me until I arrived here and found that the Sunday before Easter is called "Branches Sunday" (rams in Catalá, ramos in Castillá). So I checked the Bible. MMLJ all refer to Jesus entering Jerusalem on the Sunday before Eater, but while MML say "branches" only J says "pams". So either John wa not there or he has been mistranslated. Thinking logicly why palms, Jerusalem is high country not known for palm tres, and besides palm branches are dangeres, slippery, spiny. So I suspect that somebody, indepent of God, slipped "palm" in for symbolic reasons. To test this theory, I put a TV camera in my mail slot and taped a video of the procession passing my front door, and counted. about 20% palms of the type shown in your clip, 50% olives and 30% other such as eucalypsus, cedar, peach, apple, pear, oak, pine,  cyprus, wallnut, carob, hazzlenut, citrus,  all common branches seen around the village and common around the Med. So John´s Palm branches lose wih only 1/5 from a living sample, and 1/4 from the Bible itself.

Of course there is another problema in that many parts of the world do not have palm tres, so in Germany I have noticed pussywillows or katkins stuck behind the cross. Where there still cloistered nuns, many support themselves by bleaching and weaving palm branches as seen at the beginning of your clips then sold around the world for "Palm Sunday". In my American experience, the "Palm" ususually just a single doublé folded shoot of a palm Branch. As you wife is from South America, does she have a different tradition?

ramseylurker

Apr-6

RGoss99 said...

As you wife is from South America, does she have a different tradition?

When I met my wife 23 years ago, she had lots of stories about her childhood in Patía. Two of them center on her religion. One was about los Funerales de Angelitos, when an infant dies, and the other was about el Cerro de Manzanillo.

She told me about how her ancestors, escaped slaves who ran away to el Valle del Patía back in the 1500s, climbed to the top of el Cerro de Manzanillo, looking for a way back to Africa, and when they couldn't see Africa, they started to play their musical instruments and cried. Over time, whenever her ancestors were sad, they would climb el Cerro del Manzanillo, and when they couldn't see Africa, they would play their instruments and cry, also. Over time, all of those tears eventually coalesced to form a lake. 

My wife was born in El Estrecho, very close to el Cerro de Manzanillo, and back about 60 years ago, when she was a child, there was a rumor that la Virgen María had appeared at the top of the mountain, so her and her friend climbed to the top of el Cerro del Manzanillo looking for la Virgen María.

El Cerro de Manzanillo is a magical place, as this documentary video makes clear. You can see some great shots of el Cerro de Manzanillo from about 16:00 all the way to the end of the video. This video has a lot of good information about my wife's religion. 

Bambuco Patiano - Bambuco Negro

ramseylurker

Apr-6

RGoss99 said...

As you wife is from South America, does she have a different tradition?

Here's a dramatization of los Funerales de Angelitos, courtesy of las Cantaoras del Patia:

RGoss99

Apr-6

Interesting how the church plugged in to local traditions as a marketing element. Here with no necessary conection to the number 40, we have 40 municipalities (e.g. parishes) and 40 refered to as "magic" virgin sites, but not aligned to parishes. For example Porreres has one, but Algiada, neighbor to the East has 3, all on the same mountain, while Montuiri to the south has non, just a sanctuary dedicated to Saint Michale. Of the three in Algaida, N.S. de Cura, was our first unversity, moved to Palma then to Barcelona where it still exists, then sent a Branch back to Palma, which is now an American style full university with a campus out in the sticks (an academic ghetto which is not in the European tradition). Further down the hill is St Honorat, which for lack of vocations is now a retreat center. The third, N.S. Gracia, is a pilgrimage site, but currently closed because, it is carved out of a Cliff which seems to be collapsing.

Virgin dedicated or not each parish has a sacred place to which there is an anual "romería" usually lasting two days. No cars allowed, but horses, horse carts, and bikes allowed. These start the week after Easter Sunday, and end about Corpus. Besides the religious aspect there is also music, dancing, a general festa. Another name for these is a "pancaritat" because they raise funds for local charities, via food booths, and the sale of neckershiefs. Ours N.S. Montisión, is on the Sunday after Easter, the entire village vacates itself. led by the band that plays the entire way about 2.7k., the village gegants attend with extra volunteer "portadors", for the elderly there are horse drawn carts or wagons. As the monastery is small, the mass takes place in the cloister with booths in the arches of the peristile. Picnic tables outside. This year, with Holy Week canceled, who knows, but I feel it Will be canceled. However the virus has brought out some creativity. When a person reaches 100 he is taken by coach and horses accompanied by the band, for a special mass at the church, then returned for a Street party, financed by local government, music food and dancing. Unfortunately Delphi doesn´t down load clips but our village TV station made a video showing the "birthday boy" alone sitting in the Street in fron of his house, cake, etc. facing a wide screen TV. which shows a video of the band, not as a g roup but with a musician, or family of, with each instrument playing "Happy Birthday" at home, in a window, front door, roof top, balcony, or patio. It has gone viral, along with several other solutions to the problema of separation including NYC cops, cops in masks from a neighboring village carring instruments and playing a kid´s game, and pipers at the emergency entrance to our hospital playing a hymn used to drive out dimonis.

ramseylurker

Apr-9

Semana Santa El Bordo Patía Cauca (2013)

In reply toRe: msg 6
ramseylurker

Apr-9

SEMANA SANTA POPAYÁN 2019 - CAUCA - COLOMBIA

Harold27Z

Apr-9

If he is a father then when did he get married and have kids ?

In reply toRe: msg 3
ramseylurker

Apr-11

snip---------

Se dice que los que se iban a empautar del municipio del Patía, subían al cerro de Manzanillo para el empaute los jueves y viernes santos, ahí la montaña se abría y entraban al interior de una cueva, en donde se encontraba el diablo esperándolos para hacer el pacto de intercambio del alma a cambio de los favores solicitados. El cerro de Manzanillo, es el lugar mítico y geográfico que los patianos definen como el lugar en donde se pacta, se negocia, se intercambia saberes en la cueva como una especie de protección de la vida para conectarse con sus antepasados.

En todo el Valle del Patía, en su mayoría habitado por afrodescendientes, ha existido esta creencia de que para ser buenos violinistas hay que hacer el pacto con el diablo, igual para adquirir poderes de bien de fortuna, ser guapetones (luchadores), esgrimistas o grimistas y enamorar a las mujeres. Al preguntarles por qué el jueves y viernes santos y no otro día hacían el pacto con el diablo, si era acaso por una manifestación en contra de la iglesia católica, respondieron:

No, no, no ¡cómo se le ocurre! Lo que pasa es que en esos días Cristo está muerto y no nos ve, no ve los tratos que hacemos con el diablo.

snip---------

(pages 137-138) "Las Almas de los Violines Negros" -- Paloma Muñoz

http://repositorio.unicauca.edu.co:8080/bitstream/handle/123456789/134/LAS%20ALMAS%20DE%20LOS%20VIOLINES%20NEGROS.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

TUNO Patia VIOLINES

Paloma Muñoz Ñañez

Trabajo de campo 2013 con la agrupación SON DEL TUNO del Patía Cauca, Colombia. Tesis doctoral LAS ALMAS DE LOS VIOLINES 'NEGROS'