Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Okay, Karen   General Confusion

Started May-18 by ElDotardo; 8283 views.
In reply toRe: msg 20
MEDDLY

May-24

Kids in the Hall: 30 Helens - Tattoos/Promptness

From Season 1, Episode 6 (#106) Aired on HBO: 1989.12.05 Thirty Helens agree that tattoos aren't for everyone and that promptness is important. MORE Helens a...

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-25

Simply put, a mask protects others from you, not you from others.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-26

I found a Karen!!

There is a video in this article.

She is on the right.

Even has the hair!!

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-27

Oh, now we've done it!

Karen

Ah, the great Karen debate. It has been raging.

"Karen" is a term used by millennials in reference to a woman who likes to complain — calling the police on her neighbours, snitching on naughty classmates at school, asking to see the manager.

There are all sorts of sexist connotations, as Julia Baird, Hadley Freeman and Julie Bindel pointed out in recent columns. There are also undertones of sneering at a middle-class woman who dares to use her voice.

But others argue that Karen is rooted in black American internet culture, and first emerged as response to racism and classism by white women.

Writing in the Washington Post recently, Karen Attiah — a "millennial black Karen" — argued Karen memes are neither sexist or racist. "My mother, who grew up in Nigeria, named me Karen precisely because she wanted me to blend into white American society and face fewer problems in life than I would have with a foreign or a "black-sounding" name," she said.

Many disagree, especially on the sexism point. Some say that the disagreement is, in itself, white privilege as Karen was African American vernacular for a white woman — perhaps the type who policed and complained about black people themselves.

My advice? It's a nomenclature linguistic minefield. Just don't.

ElDotardo

Jun-18

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said...

Simply put, a mask protects others from you, not you from others.

Haven't worn one yet, but as I am Kung Flu free, 'others' need not fear me, Karen . . .

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-19

Good to hear, Carl.

Oh Carl... why did you join the army ? - 9GAG

ElDotardo

Jun-19

Oh, Karen, that's so mean *sniff.* But fear not, I'm sitting here right now watching NOVA's 'Australia's The First 4 Billion Years: Awakening' in an effort to understand how you people got this way.

Is mystery lost in the mists of time.

meanwhile in australia meme - Google Search | Funny cartoons jokes ...