Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Scotland   The U.K and Europe

Started 6/27/20 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 1571 views.
In reply toRe: msg 13
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

adwil

May-6

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Scotland will head to the polls this evening Australian time for an election that has the potential to rock the United Kingdom and Europe.

For some reason there are people in the UK who don't want an independent Scotland. I've never understood why. If the Scots vote to rule themselves, let them. It will be great for England. We save large amounts of Scottish subsidy cash and lose all the moaning Scottish SNP MPs from Parliament.  It's win-win!

In reply toRe: msg 15
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

I'm surprised they aren't independent already.

adwil

May-7

I'm surprised they aren't independent already.

The Scots voted against independence in 2014 or they would be independent now.  

In reply toRe: msg 17
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

I meant that I thought that Scotland was, for all intents and purposes, its own country.

adwil

May-8

" I thought that Scotland was, for all intents and purposes, its own country."

They've had their own Gov for home affairs since 1999, but they're not independent, yet. That requires a Yes vote in another referendum. Whether they get a referendum depends on the British Gov.  The first referendum in 2014,  where they rejected independence was supposed to settle the question for a generation.

In reply toRe: msg 19
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-10

adwil said:

The first referendum in 2014, where they rejected independence was supposed to settle the question for a generation.

I think a generation is technically 15 years.  Think they'll hold out until 2029?

adwil

May-10

Think they'll hold out until 2029?

No. They'll keep an eye on the opinion polls and when they swing in favour of independence by a few %, they'll demand a referendum. 

At the moment, opinion polls in Scotland suggest a majority against independence and that's been the case for most of the time since the last Independence referendum. 

My own view is that Boris should allow another independence referendum as soon as the pandemic has receded but we should make clear the consequences for Scotland of leaving the Union. (Which are dire.)

In reply toRe: msg 21
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-10

I don't think Boris is the best person to convince them to stay.

Then again, they hardly have a good history with the royals.

adwil

May-10

The Scots will want to keep the Queen (as Head of State????) even when they've left the Union.