Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Black Lies Matter   America - all of it

Started 8/12/20 by Apollonius (Theocritos); 26021 views.
In reply toRe: msg 133

The year 2020 likely saw the largest percentage increase in homicides in American history. Murder was up nearly 37% in a sample of 57 large and medium-size cities. Based on preliminary estimates, at least 2,000 more Americans, most of them black, were killed in 2020 than in 2019. Mainstream media and many politicians claim the pandemic caused this bloodbath, but the chronology doesn’t support that assertion. And now the criminal-justice policies supported by President Biden promise to exacerbate the current crime wave, while ignoring its actual causes.

In reply toRe: msg 140

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jan-30

Apollonius (Theocritos) said:

I'm trying to think of a single piece of music worthy of the name inspired by atheism.

Tim Minchin "Thank you god", (Atheist song)

The best´s song of Tim Minchin, (for me)...

In reply toRe: msg 143

Meanwhile in Britain:

Minister's scathing attack on Black Lives Matter

Equalities Minister Kemi Badenoch makes an eloquent speech during a debate on Black History Month, insisting any British schools teaching critical race theor...

..y are "breaking the law" and criticised the "anti-capitalist" Black Lives Matter group.

The first comment, from two months ago:

Thank God she's saying this. If a white person said these facts, they'd be forced to resign.

Speaking of Black History Month Badenoch denies assertions that black people are denied opportunities to study non-white history.  She says school children have "many opportunities to study non-European cultures such as Mughal India and Benin-- where my ancestors decided to have their own opportunity to take over the world in their own way."

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

I thought the song was great!

In reply toRe: msg 88

living in an age of persistent racial inequality in my country. As a black man I feel compelled to represent the interests of “my people.” (But that reference is not unambiguous!) As an intellectual, I feel that I must seek out the truth and speak such truths as I am given to know. As an American, at this critical moment of “racial reckoning,” I feel that imperative all the more urgently. But, I ask, what are my responsibilities? Do they conflict with one another? I will explore this question tonight. ...

In reply toRe: msg 146
Glenn Loury: "We're Playing With Fire" - BLM, Race & Policing

This episode is sponsored by Retalk. Join a community for the centre & centre right, discuss anything including this video at: https://retalk.com/l/triggerJo...

KONSTANTIN: (minute 27:00)
If you racialize these discussions you end up creating racism against groups, which for one reason or another do better in certain circumstances… and inevitably everybody finds themselves in a position where they are either the oppressor or they’re oppressed. And I think that awareness of where every group is being looked at as a potential victim or a potential victimizer.

GLENN:
Here’s what I think. I think there’s a contradiction at the heart of the identitarian argument for group equality, which is, we have these different groups, and they have identities, and these identities deserve to be respected. Someone tells me I identify as an African American and that’s a part of their personhood and it warrants to be respected and taken on board, given credence. So, groups matter in the identitarian view of the world. It’s not a matter of indifference. It’s not like we’re all a part of the human family. We are in these various little boxes. Groupness matters. My black culture and heritage matter to me. The music that I listen to, the food that I eat, the literature that I read, the stories that I tell my children, that’s important.

On the other hand, we think they’re supposed to be equality of groups across every human enterprise, but how can that be, because if groups matter some people are going to bounce a basketball a hundred thousand times a month and other people are going to bounce it ten thousand times a month. Some people are going to be drawn to the book as a way of experiencing human culture and other people are going to be more verbal or more spontaneous or whatever it might be. There are differences between groups. Groups matter after all, they’re not all the same. They don’t read the same things, they don’t believe the same things, they don’t do the same things with their time.

So, now I’ve got population groups that matter. Groups are different. Groups have their own integrity. They express it in a way in which they live their lives. That’s going to result in a different representation of group members across various human activities. They’re not all going to be in the academy to the same extent. They’re not all going to be in sports to the same extent. They’re not all going to do the same occupations or have the same professional profile.

Now, I look out at society and I see a difference between groups and the proportion who are members of the National Academy of Sciences, tenured faculty members at Harvard University, tech entrepreneurs, hedge fund managers, etc. Groups matter after all. The groupness, the Jewishness, the blackness reflected itself to some degree in how people spent their time and therefore in what it is that they’re doing, and yet I insist that the society is unfair unless I get an equal proportionate representation of these groups in every human enterprise. That’s a contradiction. And it’s a contradiction that’s only going to lead to tyranny and racism.

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

It is possible Covid influenced this. There was a serious spike in domestic violence here in Australia when we were in peak lockdown.