Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Occupy the Syllabus   General Confusion

Started Aug-17 by Apollonius (Theocritos); 3397 views.

Heather Mac Donald on Regietheater:

The abduction of opera - Heather Mac Donald, City Journal, Summer 2007
https://www.city-journal.org/html/abduction-opera-13034.html

Can the Met stand firm against the trashy productions of trendy nihilists?

Mozart’s lighthearted opera The Abduction from the Seraglio does not call for a prostitute’s nipples to be sliced off and presented to the lead soprano. Nor does it include masturbation, urination as foreplay, or forced oral sex. Europe’s new breed of opera directors, however, know better than Mozart what an opera should contain. So not only does the Abduction at Berlin’s Komische Oper feature the aforementioned activities; it also replaces Mozart’s graceful ending with a Quentin Tarantino–esque bloodbath and the promise of future perversion.

Welcome to Regietheater (German for “director’s theater”), the style of opera direction now prevalent in Europe. Regietheater embodies the belief that a director’s interpretation of an opera is as important as what the composer intended, if not more so. By an odd coincidence, many cutting-edge directors working in Europe today just happen to discover the identical lode of sex, violence, and opportunity for hackneyed political “critique” in operas ranging from the early Baroque era to that of late Romanticism.

CamGeary

Aug-20

Apollonius (Theocritos) said...

the most tolerant organizations in human history (at least toward official victim groups).

The fact that there are official victim groups encapsulates everything that's wrong with our country right now...

I don't know if it encapsulates absolutely everything, but it is a huge problem, one that the educational establishment and the media keep making worse and worse every day.

I hate those people.  Hate is a strong word.  But these people turned to evil and I hate evil.

In reply toRe: msg 1

Anti-racism's threat to academic freedom - John S. Rosenberg, Minding the Campus, 18 August 2020
https://www.mindingthecampus.org/2020/08/18/anti-racisms-threat-to-academic-freedom/

In reply toRe: msg 8

The progressive racism of the Ivy League - Patrick J. Buchanan, Taki's Magazine, 19 August 2020
https://www.takimag.com/article/the-progressive-racism-of-the-ivy-league/

If the definition of racism is deliberate discrimination based on race, color or national origin, Yale University appears to be a textbook case of “systemic racism.”

And, so, the Department of Justice contends.

Last week, Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband charged, “Yale discriminates based on race… in its undergraduate admissions process and race is the determinative factor in hundreds of admissions decisions each year.

“Asian Americans and whites have only one-tenth to one-fourth of the likelihood of admission as African American applicants with comparable academic credentials…

“Yale uses race at multiple steps of its admissions process resulting in a multiplied effect of race on an applicant’s likelihood of admission.

[...]

A court case alleging that Harvard emulates Yale, or vice versa, and admits Black and brown students whose test scores would instantly disqualify white and Asian students is headed for the Supreme Court.

At the heart of this dispute over diversity are basic questions, the resolution of which will affect the long-term unity of the American nation.

In reply toRe: msg 9

Ron Unz republishes the article that got the ball rolling:

American Pravda: Racial discrimination at Harvard - Ron Unz, The Unz Review, 22 October 2018
https://www.unz.com/runz/american-pravda-racial-discrimination-at-harvard/

... Last Sunday, just before the legal proceedings began, the Times ran a major article explaining the general background of the controversy, and I was very pleased to see that my own past research was cited as an important factor sparking the lawsuit, with the reporter even including a direct link to my 26,000 word 2012 cover-story “The Myth of American Meritocracy,” which had provided strong quantitative evidence of anti-Asian racial quotas. Economic historian Niall Ferguson, long one of Harvard’s most prominent professors but recently decamped to Stanford, similarly noted the role of my research in his column for the London Sunday Times.

Two decades ago,  I had published a widely-discussed op-ed in The Wall Street Journal on somewhat similar issues of racial discrimination in elite admissions. But my more recent article was far longer and more comprehensive, and certainly drew more attention than anything else I have ever published, before or after. Soon after it appeared in The American Conservative, its hundreds of thousands of pageviews broke all records for that publication and it attracted considerable notice in the media. Times columnist David Brooks soon ranked it as perhaps the best American magazine article of the year, a verdict seconded by a top editor at The Economist, and the Times itself quickly organized 
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message

The claim in the headlines doesn't match the statistics presented in the article.   No surprise that the people at MSNBC can't do simple math.

CamGeary

Aug-20

Hate is not strong enough a word...

Di (amina046)

Aug-20

A new star!

Andreas Perez Ursulet - COLD SONG Live TV

Andreas Perez Ursulet chante COLD SONG sur France 3 dans "300 Choeurs chantent les plus grands airs classiques" Réalisation musicale Stephane Aubry/Webmusicp...