Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Spain: citizenship for Sephardic Jews.   The U.K and Europe

Started Sep-24 by adwil; 667 views.
adwil

Sep-24

The whole article is very interesting. 150,000 descendants of Sephardic Jews have been granted citizenship and around 43,000 non-Jews who could prove that they were descendants of Sephardic Jews were also given Spanish citizenship.

https://www.jta.org/2020/09/24/global/palestinian-refugee-receives-spanish-citizenship-after-discovering-jewish-sephardic-roots?utm_source=JTA_Maropost&utm_campaign=JTA_DB&utm_medium=email&mpweb=1161-23134-166136

In reply toRe: msg 1
slackerx

Sep-24

You need to check with RGoss first to see whether or not he considers it Spain back then. He's kind of a stickler for timing, in my experience.  

adwil

Sep-24

RGoss isn't around any more.  He annoyed Jenifer/broke the rules one time too many.

In reply toRe: msg 3
slackerx

Sep-24

Oh, well hell. Then go for it!

Spain is Spain is Spain is Spain, going back centuries.

According to ancestry.com, my wife has a small amount of Spanish ancestry. (The latest update from a few days ago has her at 1% Spanish and 1% Basque, but that may change with future updates.)

She's not nearly as picky as RGoss...lol. 

• Edited September 24, 2020 4:59 pm  by  slackerx
adwil

Sep-25

slackerx said:

"According to ancestry.com, my wife has a small amount of Spanish ancestry."

One of the countries whose literature has fascinated me for years is Iceland. Imagine my delight when I was told I had a DNA connection to that country.

In reply toRe: msg 5
bml00

Sep-25

my Ancestors were indeed Spanish and left during the Inquistion to Amsterdam where they stayed for about a century and they got hated there as well and made their way to London where they have been for the last nigh on 500 years - by and large England was not a bad place for the Jews and they became ever more accepted as time went by .

Queen Victoria when visiting the Rothschilds refused to eat with them - " she did not eat with Jews"

In reply toRe: msg 6
adwil

Sep-25

bml00 said:

" she did not eat with Jews"

Good grief. Didn't know that. 

I think the Royals eat with anyone nowadays. Shows how the world has changed in the UK anyway.

In reply toRe: msg 7
bml00

Sep-25

There is a video where Hanah Rothschild says the very thing - I will try to find it

In reply toRe: msg 8
adwil

Sep-25

bml00 said:

There is a video where Hanah Rothschild says the very thing - I will try to find it

The idea that Christians should not eat Jewish food goes back at least to the reign of Justinian. Jews thought Christian prepared food was 'unclean' so Christians were told that Jewish food was unclean to them.

Only 1500 years of prejudice. Of course that's not the same as sitting down with a Jew and sharing a meal. Disraeli was an Anglican at the age of 12, so I would be surprised if Victoria had refused to eat with him because he used to be Jewish as a child. However......... I don't know as much about Victoria as I do about earlier times.

In reply toRe: msg 9
bml00

Sep-25

The excerpt from the Video is not about the FOOD but the Jews , Victoria expressed the opinion she did not want to eat with Jews

BM

PS - going to find the bloody thing