Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

US Covid response   America - all of it

Started Jan-22 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 5731 views.
katiek2

Mar-16

I don't now what I am to be looking for... I started at 38.22 during a discussion about HR-1, which then led to a short piece from MLK's son.  Oh, I had to go beyond that.  So, they basically said the same thing I did.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Mar-16

Sorry, my dear!  I should have mentioned it was a pretty scathing review of the problem at the border.

The MLK's son bit was about the concerns over voter suppression running rampant right now in 43 states.

katiek2

Mar-17

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

he MLK's son bit was about the concerns over voter suppression running rampant right now in 43 states.

OK - I guess I'm going to "out" my white privilege by these questions:  

1.  Why is requiring picture ID, or ID or any sort voter suppression?  People need ID for most everything, especially anything to do with government services.  Does Australia require ID to vote?

2.  Why is citizenship of the country you want to vote in voter suppression?  Can/do non-citizens vote in Australia?

3.  Why is verifying signatures considered voter suppression?  I did notice when I voted that there is no way our signatures on the screen could be matched with my written signature.  I really don't why this is an issue, except to stir things up.   Until this election, our signatures were always validated when we signed in to vote.  Does Australia verify signatures?

4.  Why is limiting mail-in voting to persons that have applied for it, and for military considered voter suppression?  How does mail-in balloting work in Australia?

5.  Why is requiring that you vote no later than the end of voting day, or late registration (you know for weeks beforehand when the cutoff is), considered suppression?  What is the law in Australia concerning when to vote?

I'm sure there are other methods of "voter suppression" that I've missed.  I'd honestly like to know what they are and why they are considered voter suppression.

As for my asking about Australian policy, I'm just trying to get a read on why you consider US policy on voting so egregious.  

I just ran across this piece:  While I don't agree with a lot of what they call suppression, I thought it was informative and mainly apolitical.  We have to have laws and methods in place that are fair to all who are eligible to vote.  IMHO, it is not reasonable to mail ballots to every person in the US, which is being proposed by the left, with no limits on who can vote, or when, or how often, an individual can vote.  Anyway, here's the article:

https://www.findlaw.com/voting/how-do-i-protect-my-right-to-vote-/what-is-voter-suppression-.html

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Mar-18

katiek2 said:

Why is requiring picture ID, or ID or any sort voter suppression?

Because it discriminates against the poor who cannot afford a car, and therefore have no driver's license.  Also against people who live in high density urban areas where car ownership is low.  These areas are predominately black.  Also the homeless don't have voter ID.

katiek2 said:

Does Australia require ID to vote?

No.

katiek2 said:

Can/do non-citizens vote in Australia?

Residents, Citizens and British subjects can vote.

katiek2 said:

Why is verifying signatures considered voter suppression?

It's not.  But how much has your signature changed since you first enrolled to vote?  See if you can find you marriage certificate.  Sign something else first, then compare your signature.  What happens if you're having a bad day, or your hand is shaky?  Your vote could be denied without you ever hearing about it.

katiek2 said:

Does Australia verify signatures?

I honestly can't remember the last time I did a mail-in vote.  I voted early in the recent state election, and no signature is required.

katiek2 said:

Why is limiting mail-in voting to persons that have applied for it, and for military considered voter suppression?

They are going further than limiting mail in voting "to those who applied for it", by limiting WHO can apply in the first place.  People work on a Tuesday, they don't want to catch Covid, and they don't want to stand in line for 11 hours.  That should be reason enough to be able to apply for a mail in ballot.

katiek2 said:

How does mail-in balloting work in Australia?

You apply, it gets sent, you fill it out, sign it and have a witness sign it.

katiek2 said:

Why is requiring that you vote no later than the end of voting day, or late registration (you know for weeks beforehand when the cutoff is), considered suppression?

They have cut an hour of the polling stations opening time.  How is that NOT voter suppression?

There is an electoral reform thread here.  I'll post more to you there.

katiek2

Mar-18

Anyone without a car can be issued voter ID.  It does not have to be picture.

Mail-in voting.  Please source your info on limiting WHO can apply for mail-in voting.  I'm not aware of that restriction or of any legislation being considered that would restrict who could apply, unless of course, you are referring to inmates and/or non-citizens.

Opening time:  Our polls open early in the morning (I believe 8 AM) and close at 8 PM.   The extended hours were for pandemic reasons only.  Normal voting hours have not been a factor until this election.  Businesses are required by law to give time off to employees to vote.  I know sh*t happens, but in normal circumstances, there is no reason not to get to the polls during normal voting hours.

Edited to add:   Thanks Jenifer for your answers re:  Australian voting laws. I do appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.  As far as I can tell, the only difference between your laws and ours is that Australia does not require ID.  So how does Australia verify that only citizens vote, or is anyone living in Australia allowed to vote?  

• Edited March 18, 2021 9:35 am  by  katiek2
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Mar-19

katiek2 said:

there is no reason not to get to the polls during normal voting hours.

Spoken like someone who has never had to wait in line for 11 hours to vote.

katiek2 said:

So how does Australia verify that only citizens vote, or is anyone living in Australia allowed to vote?

You have to enrol to vote and notify the electoral commission if you move.

This year the electoral roll finally got computerised, but the ballots are still pencil and paper.

jra2750

Mar-19

Credit when it's due, please.  It was Pres. Trump who intervened in the FDA/CDC red tape going on in their and academic labs...professional jealousy reigned supreme for years.  Trump convinced Drs. Redfield & Hahn that this had to stop  Indep labs had been forced to quit working on vaccines.  CDC put out their tests and they failed mightily.  

With the red tape ended progress escalated.  Hence Operation Warp Speed.  

katiek2

Mar-19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

katiek2 said: there is no reason not to get to the polls during normal voting hours. Spoken like someone who has never had to wait in line for 11 hours to vote.

katiek2 said: So how does Australia verify that only citizens vote, or is anyone living in Australia allowed to vote? You have to enrol to vote and notify the electoral commission if you move. This year the electoral roll finally got computerised, but the ballots are still pencil and paper.  

You're right - I've never had to wait 11 hours in line to vote.  Our process is pretty well organized.  There are volunteers available to take people to the polls that can't get there on their own.

So you have to enroll and make notification if you move.  Why are you against the US doing just that?  That is exactly what our law says; the Left wants completely open voting - anyone living is US votes, no ID required.  Actually, we weren't asked for ID this time, but that may be because our district is fairly small, with the same people working the polls each year.  They just asked for our names, ticked us off their list and showed us how to use the machines.

jra2750

Mar-19

628 pages in that almost $2 trillion mess.  And you can bet few to NONE in congress read the thing.

It's as popular as can be of course...79% approval.  My guess is that what stands out to most of us is the $1,400 stimulus check Plus the $300/week unemployment checks PLUS the $300/month to every family with kids under the age of 18.

Any bets if people on the street were asked about what's in the bill they would say The Money?

jra2750

Mar-19

Dr. Fauci and Dr. Wallensky have to be two of the most dangerous figures on today's world stage.

Neither of them or, in fact, ANY of the experts has any idea about COVID and how to deal with it.  All they know is Masks and social distancing...and even here it seems that CDC studies show that 3 feet rather than6 ft MAY be okay.

Lots of COULD BEs, MAYBEs, PERHAP's coming from this duo. 

;