Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Thirty Tyrants   America - all of it

Started Feb-7 by Apollonius (Theocritos); 2033 views.

… For my last column I spoke with The New York Times ’ Thomas Friedman about an article he wrote more than a decade ago, during the first year of Barack Obama’s presidency. His important piece documents the exact moment when the American elite decided that democracy wasn’t working for them. Blaming the Republican Party for preventing them from running roughshod over the American public, they migrated to the Democratic Party in the hopes of strengthening the relationships that were making them rich.

[…]

Returning those jobs to America, along with ending foreign wars and illegal immigration, was the core policy promise of Donald Trump’s presidency, and the source of his surprise victory in 2016. Trump was hardly the first to make the case that the corporate and political establishment’s trade relationship with China had sold out ordinary Americans. Former Democratic congressman and 1988 presidential candidate Richard Gephardt was the leading voice in an important but finally not very influential group of elected Democratic Party officials and policy experts who warned that trading with a state that employed slave labor would cost American jobs and sacrifice American honor. The only people who took Trump seriously were the more than 60 million American voters who believed him when he said he’d fight the elites to get those jobs back.

What he called “The Swamp” appeared at first just to be a random assortment of industries, institutions, and personalities that seemed to have nothing in common, outside of the fact they were excoriated by the newly elected president. But Trump’s incessant attacks on that elite gave them collective self-awareness as well as a powerful motive for solidarity. Together, they saw that they represented a nexus of public and private sector interests that shared not only the same prejudices and hatreds, cultural tastes and consumer habits but also the same center of gravity—the U.S.-China relationship. And so, the China Class was born.

In reply toRe: msg 1

Every American, indeed everyone who is interested in America or saving what is left of Western civilization needs to read this article.  

Wake up, people.  A totalitarian state is coming your way very quickly.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host
Apollonius (Theocritos) said:

Wake up, people. A totalitarian state is coming your way very quickly.

Yes! And they're bringing healthcare and a decent minimum wage!

katiek2

Feb-8

Apollonius (Theocritos) said: Wake up, people. A totalitarian state is coming your way very quickly.

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:    Yes! And they're bringing healthcare and a decent minimum wage!

Is that the type of government you want in Australia?  You would accept a totalitarian state that dictates your life in exchange for what that state determines you need in terms of healthcare and for what it determines is a decent minimum wage?  What happens when you don't agree with that state's dictates?

• Edited February 8, 2021 6:54 am  by  katiek2

Come on, katie.

Health care is better than Iowans being shot every time we have an election. Do you call that democracy?

The My Pillow guy came here to Iowa for a "Stop the Steal" rally at the Iowa Capitol in Des Moines on December 6, just one month after the election.

At the rally, a heavily armed white man wearing body armor shot his gun into a car carring 4 Black teenage girls, and wounded a 15 year old Black girl.

Why can't they just accept that they lost?

This reminds me of Bloody November in the days leading up to the election in 2016.

When they came for the Blacks, I was not Black, so I did not speak out.

And when they came for the Indians, I was not Indian, so I did not speak out.

COMING FOR BLACKS AND INDIANS

https://mobile.twitter.com/Concrete_Mojo/status/1327775188457582595

Yep.  Apparently many of these so-called progressives are happily submitting to slavery. 

I guess they think that it will be worth it to get some free stuff.  But how long will that last?  At some point in the not too distant future they're government cheque won't cover the bills.  Then they'll be working in a shoe factory for the inflationary equivalent of a dollar an hour.

Msg 1798.8 deleted
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Feb-13

I was being flippant.  I have free healthcare and the minimum wage here is about $20.  There are no jack-booted soldiers marching down any of my streets.  I don't know why you think they go hand in hand.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what has Conservatives so terrified.

The fact that you both appear to genuinely believe that things such as healthcare and a wage you can live on come with a sucker punch, tells me a lot.

katiek2

Feb-15

I pay $0 for my healthcare plan, was able to choose my healthcare plan from among at least 30 available plans based upon the type of care I need.  To be honest, this would not be true if I was not a retiree.  Do you have a choice of plans or is it one plan fits all, which is what is proposed here.  I want to be able to choose which healthcare plan I subscribe to.    

I took a look at Perth's pay calculator.  Your minimum wage of about $20 equates to $15.50 USD.  However, I also took a look at your current income tax rates.  If I'm looking at this correctly, I would have a tax liability in Australia of 19% on income over $18,200 versus 0% here in the US. 

I chuckle at your phrasing.  I am not "terrified", I simply don't want to pay more.  A $15/hour minimum wage would be terrific except it will come with increased income tax rates and business (particularly small business) cutting jobs and/or passing on their rising cost to the consumer.   Some states already have implemented tax plans that will gradually raise the minimum to $15, others will follow and we'll all get used to the increased cost of living just as we did each time the minimum was raised.  What amuses me is that proponents fail to point out the "sucker punch" - the standard of living will not change.  The only way to do that is to upgrade education/experience to above minimum wage level.  

I don't think anyone mentioned "jack-booted soldiers" marching down the streets.  However, with all the talk of rounding up and deprogramming republicans hitting the airwaves, would it be any wonder if we were just a little bit concerned?