Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Decades of sexual harassment    America - all of it

Started 10/6/17 by Johneeo; 78117 views.
In reply toRe: msg 280
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

2/26/20

Johneeo

2/26/20

>>>>You started this thread over 2 years ago...

Huh?  What?  Two years ago.

Christ almighty, I can't remember two weeks ago as I have aged and suffer from Joe Biden disease.

So, what's been going on?  Is Comrade Bernie President yet?

I am assuming not, as I just got a medical bill for literally cleaning the shit out of my right ear.

I kind of resigned myself to being dead in 10 years from Climate Change, but, thankfully it looks like Coronavirus is gonna move up the eradication of mankind by about ....... I estimate two years.

Over the past year, I have incredibly increased my fortress of weapons and ammunition and look forward to the open borders and bringing in tens of millions of Coronavirus infected criminal illegal aliens and the impending "civil" war to follow.  Should be a hoot, kinda like shooting fish in a barrel.

BTW, is Trump still a Russian operative and puppet of Putin? 

BTW, how the hell are you?  Did the fires affect you? 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

2/27/20

Heya Johnny!

First of all, a few close calls for family in Queensland, but everyone is alive.

There is lots of rain at the moment - so touch wood, I think we're past the worst of it.

Of course, another Royal Commission into the fires is planned, so the government can ignore all findings and recommendations in time for next year.

And the Koala is now endangered in New South Wales.

We're in total agreement about Joe.  Bernie and Trump going head to head in the election would be hilarious.

The Colbert monologues will get me through the year.

Johneeo said:

BTW, is Trump still a Russian operative and puppet of Putin?

Haven't you heard? Bernie is now the Putin favourite.  Well, that's what Bloomberg says.

I bet that makes Trump angry.

In reply toRe: msg 283
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/1/20

BerrySteph

3/1/20

Di (amina046) said:

What unforgiving rubbish. The “victim” begged the Calif. District Attorney to forget about the case, he is 86 years old, the conviction dates from 1978, when the victims mother drove the girl to his house, drinking his champagne waiting for him to make her daughter a star.

The French have behaved much more hysterically than I'd have expected them to.

BerrySteph

3/1/20

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Harvey Weinstein's new home will be New York's notorious Rikers Island jail. This is what we know about how the case against the former film mogul unfolded, and what could happen next.

Some good could come out of this.

Shine a spotlight on the disgusting prison system in the US.

Mind you, ours has some terrible parts.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/2/20

America's prisons are mostly privatised.

RGoss99

3/4/20

And that is only in New York. As more cases are brought to light there is a strong possibility of more convictions in California, not just of him, but also his enablers.

RGoss99

3/4/20

No, some American prisons, in some states are privatized, and the concept is comming under a lot of pressure. I doubt if you  can justify "mostly privatized" with any statistics. There is another factor you need to consider, and that you are counting. From what I have read most of the privatized are county facilities, or state facilities in those states that support Trump. at every level, i think you Will find that most of America´s incarcerated are in prisons run by the government and not local. I can´t fault for believing otherwise but it is the way the media sells papers. If there is a scandal in a county jail or juvenile facility it gets more press then one in a federal pen. so your theory or opinión is based on news print not actual numbers.. For example only 8.4% of America´s prison population is in privately owned prisons. 

bml00

3/4/20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_prison

An interesting read

Israel[edit]

Initial attempt[edit]

In 2004, the Israeli Knesset passed a law permitting the establishment of private prisons in Israel. The Israeli government's motivation was to save money by transferring prisoners to facilities managed by a private firm. The state would pay the franchisee $50 per day for inmate, sparing itself the cost of building new prisons and expanding the staff of the Israel Prison Service. In 2005, the Human Rights Department of the Academic College of Law in Ramat Gan filed a petition with the Israeli Supreme Court challenging the law. The petition relied on two arguments; first, it said transferring prison powers to private hands would violate the prisoners' fundamental human rights to liberty and dignity. Secondly, a private organization always aims to maximize profit, and would therefore seek to cut costs by, such means as skimping on prison facilities and paying its guards poorly, thus further undermining the prisoners' rights. As the case awaited decision, the first prison was built by the concessionaire, Lev Leviev's Africa Israel Investments, a facility near Beersheba designed to accommodate 2,000 inmates.

Israeli Supreme Court rejection[edit]

In November 2009, an expanded panel of 9 judges of the Israeli Supreme Court ruled privately run prisons are unco
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message