Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Decades of sexual harassment    America - all of it

Started 10/6/17 by Johneeo; 49984 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/5/20

RGoss99 said:

For example only 8.4% of America´s prison population is in privately owned prisons.

Correct.

I thought it was more than that.

RGoss99

3/5/20

It would be logical to think so because the concept of for profit prisons suggests a flaw in the system, so without telling the public including yourself an outright lie, the volume of news print gives people the impression that what you thought was true. I believe it is a problema but it is a sad commentary on democracy that when a bad practice is recognized, it takes another bad practice (false news) to remedy it because it makes people cynical regarding all news.

BerrySteph

3/5/20

RGoss99 said:

No, some American prisons, in some states are privatized, and the concept is comming under a lot of pressure. ... From what I have read most of the privatized are county facilities, or state facilities in those states that support Trump ... most of America´s incarcerated are in prisons run by the government and not local ... If there is a scandal in a county jail or juvenile facility it gets more press then one in a federal pen

How much of these two systems dabble in, or fully amount to, slave labour?

RGoss99

3/6/20

I have no numbers, but suspect that before privatization most public institutions, especially in the S.E. did, and it is generally known that in the same area the private prisons "rent" their inhabitants out to varios labor intensive public and private projects. We don´t have private prisons here, but I do know that our juvenile facilities are in our forestry área, and forestry work is involved in their stay.

This is OT to your question but related. The two Young men who tried to take my bike each got 3 years at camp. But here the number 3 can go up or down. Convicts are assigned to social workers who come up with a weekly program including work and education goals, those who meet them get time off, those that fail to meet them get extended. So for my two, with 3 years each one ended up with 2 and other with 4. The state pays for their basic, and I mean very basic up keep, and beyond that they have to work if they want more, and some cash left over when they are released.. I have no problema with forestry work as this is a public service (also an option in California), However in places like Arkansas and Mississippi, as you say like slaves, they are sold to private companies as low paid workers with a lot of exploitation and mistreatment plus corruption with the prison officials both private and public.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/6/20

In reply toRe: msg 295
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/8/20

In reply toRe: msg 296
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/12/20

BerrySteph

3/14/20

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein is sentenced to 23 years in prison over rape and sexual assault convictions in a case hailed as a victory for the #MeToo movement.

You make it sound as if this was a political victory and he's a political prisoner.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

3/15/20

Did I?

That was the furthest thing from my mind.

BerrySteph

3/15/20

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Did I? That was the furthest thing from my mind.

Central to what you quoted were the words "hailed as a victory for the #MeToo movement".

If that's not a political movement you must tell me.