Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Australia Needs To Step Up   Australia and Oceania

Started Aug-20 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 3261 views.
In reply toRe: msg 26
NISSY (NISSY2)

Oct-18

Norway now accepts dual citizenship but I have no need for it. That could change some day but I don't think it will. I believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

We just finished a big audit of our Norwegian income taxes. They gave us some bad information when we arrived. Last year, a tax amnesty was offered by the country so we called them to check and see if we were paying all of our taxes.

Originally, they told us we didn't have to pay Norway taxes on social security income and they should be paid to the US. But we were supposed to pay health insurance on all income because insurance is not a tax. We ended up having to pay them fifty grand but no penalty because we called them and they didn't call us.

It was a real pain in the rear because we had to send them all income documents for nine years which meant contacting banks in the US to get copies of all payments.

adwil

Oct-18

That was a real pain in the butt.

In reply toRe: msg 28
NISSY (NISSY2)

Oct-19

But I was satisfied that I was able to do it all by myself without having to pay accountants. We did overpay taxes to the US and that will take some more time to get the over payments back.
NISSY (NISSY2)

Oct-19

The media jumps to a lot of conclusions. This NATO pull out was negotiated for several years and they are abiding by conditions in the agreement. You can bet some Afghans working for NATO are criminals in other situations and the Taliban will make sure that they don't leave without facing charges.
adwil

Oct-19

You overpaid!!!!!

Are they good at repaying such generosity?

In reply toRe: msg 32
NISSY (NISSY2)

Oct-19

There is a tax treaty between the US and Norway to prevent double taxation. My partner is a Norwegian citizen so her US pension should have been taxed by Norway instead of the US. Had she been a US citizen. She would have been taxed by the US.

Now I am waiting for my accountant to refile taxes showing that we overpaid.

The US permits joint returns.

adwil

Oct-19

Ah, I see.  Best of luck. Hope the refund comes soon.

In reply toRe: msg 34
NISSY (NISSY2)

Oct-19

You can imagine how much of a shock it was to find out we owed taxes. I was pretty upset with the Norwegians for not doing a better job of informing us. I guess they don't get very many immigrants from the US.

They essentially told us the source of the money determines which country gets to collect the tax. That isn't necessarily true and the health insurance charge is not a tax. By the way, the rate for the health insurance is 5.1%.

And I am not bothered by paying the insurance. We only had to pay about a third of what we saved in the nine years we were here.

adwil

Oct-19

I'm delighted that I don't owe any taxes.

Boris Johnson gave up his US citizenship in 2017 after the IRS demanded $153,000 when he sold his London house. (I think he still had to pay it but it reduced future depredations on his income.)