Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Delta Air Lines jacks up health insurance premiums for unvaccinated employees   America - all of it

Started Aug-27 by Raven2018; 7197 views.
Raven2018

Sep-4

CzoeMC said:

I respectfully disagree. Though you may not have known it, your workplace insurance premiums may have reflected your good health while you were still working. As you have been out of the workplace for some time, you might not be aware that many corporations offer lower insurance premiums to those who don't smoke, and enter exercise programs. Is that reverse discrimination? Since a much higher percentage of risks contributed to contracting Covid result in huge medical costs, and likelihood of death, than the seasonal flu, during a Pandemic, the correlation is moot.

Thank you, for your respectfully stated posts.

Thousands of people die, annually, from the seasonal flu (69,000, in 2017-2018).

Pandemics, of course, are (by far) worse ... but pandemics don't happen that often.

How can it be proven, that whatever medical conditions the non-vaccinated persons has ... years from now ...  is a result of their not having gotten the Covid-19 vaccine?

If a person has heart disease, cancer, diabetes they will, definitely, spend time in the doctor's office, hospital rooms and, at times, on an emergency basis. People are going to fight insurance company conclusions, and there are going to be a lot of appeals.

A person who does not get the Covid-19 vaccine (who has a good immune system, no underlying health conditions, and a very healthy life stye) is not very likely going to get Covid-19 nor need a doctor/hospitalization if they do. Again, it is extremely unfair for insurance companies to, arbitrarily, charge  non-vaccinated people an additional $200.00.

If an insurance company, generally, gives a reduced rate to persons who do not smoke, are not overweight, and have no per-condition health issues then why shouldn't this be taken into consideration for those who are not vaccinated ... in as much as smoking, obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise, underlying health conditions contributes to those with Covid-19 not surviving the virus after weeks of hospital care.

As I mentioned, prior, I live a very healthy lifestyle, have a good immune system, and I have no underlying health conditions. However, hubby is diabetic, and has heart disease; he wears a pacemaker. He is overweight, and not nearly as careful as he should be with his diet. He has doctor's appointments, monthly, and has been in the hospital many times. He is scheduled for a heart procedure (AV  Nodal Ablation) later this month.

I am sure that there are many people like me, and many people like my hubby; all things considered, why should every person who is not vaccinated be forced to pay that additional $200.00?

Then again, my hubby who has not been vaccinated ... has not contracted Covid-19.

This is why I said, that there are so many variables which makes is unfair for insurance companies to be charging those who are not vaccinated additional money.

So, we will have to agree to "disagree" on this. :)

Raven2018

Sep-4

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

I know!! If you look him up on YouTube, be prepared to lose a day.

That would be easy for me to do! I've lost a day watching cute kitten/cat videos!!

Raven2018

Sep-4

Yes, vaccinated people can spread COVID. The difference is the unvaccinated are about 30 times more likely to be hospitalised. That's where the high costs come in.

However, the non- vaccinated may not ever contract Covid-19, and if they do (contract it) they may not need to be hospitalized or even need to see a  doctor. This happens!

Therefore, the non-vaccinated should not, IMO, have to pay the additional $200.00 premiums. Especially, if they do not smoke, are not overweight, eat a very healthy diet, exercise moderately/regularly,  are not alcohol/drug addicted, and have no underlying health conditions. To penalize such people, is terrible.

CzoeMC

Sep-4

Look at it this way.

It would not be an extra $200 per month premium (where did the $200 figure come from, out of a hat?), all employees would be charged that much more per month, due to the high expense of treating Covid patients, that has crippled many employers' base.

Vaccinated employees would simply get the "good health seal of approval", and not have to pay the extra premium.

In reply toRe: msg 17
CzoeMC

Sep-5

And really, Raven, where is all your animosity towards getting protected from Covid by a vaccine come from? Trump?

Did you ever get a Tetanus shot? Did you or any in your family get the polio, or measles,mumps rubella vaccines? Hopefully so for your sakes.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host
Raven2018 said:

However, the non- vaccinated may not ever contract Covid-19, and if they do (contract it) they may not need to be hospitalized or even need to see a  doctor. This happens!

Yes, but they can still spread it.

You're talking about an unvaccinated person working in a confined space where it is impossible to social distance, all while handing out food and drinks.

There is also the fact that since smoking was banned in planes, they don't need to recycle the air so much.  This leads to all sorts of viruses floating throughout the cabin.

So, a Delta airlines passenger catches COVID on a flight.  They'll be looking for someone to blame and some compensation.

I really think a lot of what is driving this decision is litigious.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

There is a difference between anti-vaxxers and vaccine hesitancy when it comes to THIS particular vaccine.

The circumstances are unique, the speed at which the vaccine was rolled out was unprecedented, and it's news headlines whenever anyone has a bad reaction.

CzoeMC

Sep-6

There is a difference between anti-vaxxers and vaccine hesitancy

True. I can certainly recognize the hesitancy regarding black people remembering Tuskegee experiments, but the outright anger of Trumpians about covid vaccines makes no sense. Guess they want to kill off their own voter base.

• Edited September 6, 2021 5:06 am  by  CzoeMC
In reply toRe: msg 21
CzoeMC

Sep-6

One of the side effects of contracting Covid (besides a long term lack of taste and smell so far) is men have found an inability to get an erection.

Another way to reduce the Trumpian voter base,

Raven2018

Sep-6

So, a Delta airlines passenger catches COVID on a flight. They'll be looking for someone to blame and some compensation. I really think a lot of what is driving this decision is litigious.

How can the passengers  blame Delta, when they could have already had Covid-19 when they boarded the plane?

Even if they tested negative before hand, it could have been a false negative; they could have been in such an early stage of Covid-19 that the test did did not detect it?

Or they could have contracted the virus in the taxi, on the way to the airport, or in an airport restaurant or the gift shop?

If there were two fight attendants, on their flight ... one vaccinated and the other not vaccination ...there is no way to prove which of these two flight attendants spread the virus or if either one of them did.

If they both, were given a Covid-19 test and one  who was vaccinated tested negative, he/she still could have, possibly, been the one who spread it, but it cannot be proven that they did. Nor can it be proven, that it was the non-vaccinated flight attendant who spread it ... even if they tested positive.

Or virus could have been contracted from one of the passengers and, possibly, a passenger who was vaccinated.

All things considered, Delta is comprised of opportunist ... greedy opportunists ... who are unfairly gouging their employees, and it should be against the law for them to do so.