Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Delta Air Lines jacks up health insurance premiums for unvaccinated employees   America - all of it

Started 8/27/21 by Raven2018; 7749 views.
Raven2018

9/1/21

ROFL!!! He's really funny!!!

CzoeMC

9/1/21

A person with diabetes, heart conditions, cancer, etc. pays a higher workplace insurance premium than those without such conditions, as an example.

A person choosing not to get the vaccine is a risk to all in the same insurance pool as far as heightening medical costs for the entire pool.

Therefore, those who choose not to get the vaccine should pay higher premiums. After all, Covid care is very expensive.

Should all fellow employees share the burden of the cost of the non-vaccinated? Hardly seems fair.

IMHO, pay up, if you won't vax. Put your money where your arm isn't.

*Another example for universal health care, but the un-vaxed would still clog up the hospitals.

• Edited September 1, 2021 8:39 pm  by  CzoeMC
Raven2018

9/1/21

The fact is, that even (some of) those who are vaccinated are contracting Covid-19 for a second time, and even if they have no symptoms they can still be spreading Covid. So, why would they pay a lower insurance premiums?

Perhaps, these vaccinated persons (with breakthrough Covid) are overweight, smoke, drink alcohol excessively, use illegal drugs, have a poor diet, do not exercise, don't get enough sleep, nor religiously wash their hands.

So, shouldn't they have higher workplace insurance premiums?

I am 74 years-old, and I have never had a flu shot, and I have not had the flu in 20 years. I take very good care of myself (in every way) and, consequently, have a great immune system. If I were still employed, it would be unfair to charge me a higher insurance premium, because I have chosen not to get vaccinated.

How about persons, who get the seasonal flu and spreads it? And they live, but the person whom they spread it to dies?

Should people who don't get the seasonal flu shot, pay higher insurance premiums; even though it might be the person who  gets a flu shot, annually, who is spreading the flu not the person who didn't get the flu shot?

There are too many variables, unknowns, and no guarantees to be charging people who don't get the Covid-19 vaccine higher workplace insurance premiums ... than those who are vaccinated.

CzoeMC

9/1/21

I respectfully disagree. Though you may not have known it, your workplace insurance premiums may have reflected your good health while you were still working.

As you have been out of the workplace for some time, you might not be aware that many corporations offer lower insurance premiums to those who don't smoke, and enter exercise programs. Is that reverse discrimination?

Since a much higher percentage of risks contributed to contracting Covid result in huge medical costs, and likelihood of death, than the seasonal flu, during a Pandemic, the correlation is moot.

• Edited September 1, 2021 10:52 pm  by  CzoeMC
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

9/2/21

I know!! If you look him up on YouTube, be prepared to lose a day.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

9/2/21

Yes, vaccinated people can spread COVID.  

The difference is the unvaccinated are about 30 times more likely to be hospitalised.

That's where the high costs come in.

Raven2018

9/4/21

CzoeMC said:

I respectfully disagree. Though you may not have known it, your workplace insurance premiums may have reflected your good health while you were still working. As you have been out of the workplace for some time, you might not be aware that many corporations offer lower insurance premiums to those who don't smoke, and enter exercise programs. Is that reverse discrimination? Since a much higher percentage of risks contributed to contracting Covid result in huge medical costs, and likelihood of death, than the seasonal flu, during a Pandemic, the correlation is moot.

Thank you, for your respectfully stated posts.

Thousands of people die, annually, from the seasonal flu (69,000, in 2017-2018).

Pandemics, of course, are (by far) worse ... but pandemics don't happen that often.

How can it be proven, that whatever medical conditions the non-vaccinated persons has ... years from now ...  is a result of their not having gotten the Covid-19 vaccine?

If a person has heart disease, cancer, diabetes they will, definitely, spend time in the doctor's office, hospital rooms and, at times, on an emergency basis. People are going to fight insurance company conclusions, and there are going to be a lot of appeals.

A person who does not get the Covid-19 vaccine (who has a good immune system, no underlying health conditions, and a very healthy life stye) is not very likely going to get Covid-19 nor need a doctor/hospitalization if they do. Again, it is extremely unfair for insurance companies to, arbitrarily, charge  non-vaccinated people an additional $200.00.

If an insurance company, generally, gives a reduced rate to persons who do not smoke, are not overweight, and have no per-condition health issues then why shouldn't this be taken into consideration for those who are not vaccinated ... in as much as smoking, obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise, underlying health conditions contributes to those with Covid-19 not surviving the virus after weeks of hospital care.

As I mentioned, prior, I live a very healthy lifestyle, have a good immune system, and I have no underlying health conditions. However, hubby is diabetic, and has heart disease; he wears a pacemaker. He is overweight, and not nearly as careful as he should be with his diet. He has doctor's appointments, monthly, and has been in the hospital many times. He is scheduled for a heart procedure (AV  Nodal Ablation) later this month.

I am sure that there are many people like me, and many people like my hubby; all things considered, why should every person who is not vaccinated be forced to pay that additional $200.00?

Then again, my hubby who has not been vaccinated ... has not contracted Covid-19.

This is why I said, that there are so many variables which makes is unfair for insurance companies to be charging those who are not vaccinated additional money.

So, we will have to agree to "disagree" on this. :)

Raven2018

9/4/21

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

I know!! If you look him up on YouTube, be prepared to lose a day.

That would be easy for me to do! I've lost a day watching cute kitten/cat videos!!

Raven2018

9/4/21

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Yes, vaccinated people can spread COVID. The difference is the unvaccinated are about 30 times more likely to be hospitalised. That's where the high costs come in.

However, the non- vaccinated may not ever contract Covid-19, and if they do (contract it) they may not need to be hospitalized or even need to see a  doctor. This happens!

Therefore, the non-vaccinated should not, IMO, have to pay the additional $200.00 premiums. Especially, if they do not smoke, are not overweight, eat a very healthy diet, exercise moderately/regularly,  are not alcohol/drug addicted, and have no underlying health conditions. To penalize such people, is terrible.

CzoeMC

9/4/21

Look at it this way.

It would not be an extra $200 per month premium (where did the $200 figure come from, out of a hat?), all employees would be charged that much more per month, due to the high expense of treating Covid patients, that has crippled many employers' base.

Vaccinated employees would simply get the "good health seal of approval", and not have to pay the extra premium.