Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Critical Race Theory y la Invisibilidad   Vent Your Spleen!

Started 1/3/22 by I Want Flowers (LiberalDem); 783 views.
NISSY (NISSY2)

1/6/22

The message was in the audio. The visual just a child reading.
NISSY (NISSY2) said:

I watched the video and because of her questions at the end, I felt she was pushing guilt on whites which will surely increase hate and created even more division in US society

As I recall, Birtukan Feingold asked several questions.

Which of her questions did you find most hateful?

Children sometimes ask questions that make adults feel uncomfortable. 

NISSY (NISSY2) said:

The message was in the audio. The visual just a child reading.

If you watched the video, then you know that this children's book is illustrated, with documentary photos as well as artwork, including a painting by Norman Rockwell.

NISSY (NISSY2)

1/6/22

If I could copy and paste it, I would do so but it was in the realm of "How would you feel if you were treated like this" which puts the listener on the defensive and therefore, uncomfortable and more likely to reject her message.

Do you have any idea how divided the US is today?

NISSY (NISSY2)

1/6/22

It belongs in a history museum. Americans need to move on. Maybe the US could become a meritocracy like the NFL and NBA.
NISSY (NISSY2) said:

If I could copy and paste it, I would do so but it was in the realm of "How would you feel if you were treated like this" which puts the listener on the defensive and therefore, uncomfortable and more likely to reject her message.

Children ask the darndest questions, don't they?

How would you feel if you were treated like that, Nissy?

NISSY (NISSY2)

1/6/22

I don't care to answer for reasons I already stated.

Black children I knew when I was growing up were treated unfairly but that was a long time ago and they are not treated unfairly today so dwelling on it will only result in increased hatred which it seems to be doing.

What do you think of increasing hatred?

katiek2

1/7/22

My post actually had nothing to do with the video.  It was a response to your statement regarding invisibilidad, which is simply your opinion.  There is nothing wrong with children reading of black history in the US, as long as it is presented factually, without opinion.  It's important for us to know and understand how this country was shaped; how our opinions have been shaped.  In my opinion, there is no reason the book written by Ruby Bridges should not be read, assuming the reading is not followed by translation and opinion of the teacher.  Ruby Bridges and her parents were remarkedly brave, and should be remembered for the part they played in segregation.  It's ironic that today some black organizations are calling for separate schools for black and white children.  Please don't ask me which organizations, because I don't remember.

This is such an emotional issue.  I found this paragraph just recently:  "During the Los Angeles riots, Rodney King appealed for peace, saying, “Can we all get along?” That statement was often paraphrased as, “Can’t we all just get along?” A question as old as Cain and Abel. Either way the answer seems to be no."  

How sad is that?

Msg 2152.21 deleted