Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

California Fires   America - all of it

Started 12/5/17 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 24779 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

'Tis the season! 

RRBud

Aug-7

Hello Jen,

Yes, 'tis fire season indeed.  For the past week we've been having poor air quality, the sky is a dirty bluish color with the dirt being mostly a sickly brownish-tan, and the smoke irritates the eyes - - and the smell is quite noticeable.  The real problem is that most of the fires are on land that burned a few years ago and now have lots of fresh - - and now, very dry - - undergrowth as well as lots of scrub trees and brush, some living, some already dead and dried out.  It's all wild growth, what we call "volunteer" growth because seeds blew in from wherever and started growing with the first rains following the last fires in the area.

Fortunately, so far it seems no one has been killed or seriously injured, and very few structures have burned.

I don't think these are naturally-caused fires.

Oh well, at least you're in your coolest time of the year.  We aren't, but so far this summer our temperatures have mostly been a bit lower than in recent years, and we're happy for every bit of relief we can get!

Take care, stay safe!  And healthy, of course - -

RRBud

Aug-7

I like the roses in the banner image!

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

I'm actually a little surprised it started later than usual.

Perhaps the reprieve has come due to the devastation of last summer.

We hope we get that here.

Did you get any back-burning done in spring, or is it still a political mess?

And thank you for complimenting my roses!

I change the header every month, you're the first one to say anything!!

RRBud

Aug-10

Good morning Jen -

Well, it's morning here in Crazyfornia, USA, at least.  Time is 0707, and our Internet provider is back up, having had failures over the weekend.

Yes, it's a little late for fire season to start, but nobody is complaining!  And it's been a little cooler than usual in various parts of the State (and country), and no one complains about that, either.

I sincerely hope you get a reprieve Down Under! And not just in the areas previously devastated!

No, as far as I know the politicians here aren't intelligent enough to understand, and allow, careful back-burning.  We had some a few years ago that got out of control and created major wildfires, and you know the phrase about once burned, twice cautious.  Except that with our politicians, it becomes at least twice as arrogant and stupid. 

I'm a bit surprised being the first to comment on those beautiful roses in the header!  I can't claim to grow roses, though I have a few rose bushes, and fully appreciate them.  Always look forward to the first rose every Spring!

Oh well, I've bothered you long enough this morning, so will close by wishing you a wonderful day, and may it be very good to you!

RRBud

Aug-11

Thank you, I do my best to stay safe!  Mostly it has worked, so far.

And thank you for putting up the image of the roses - - I stole it for use as wallpaper on my work cell phone.

Take care -

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-13

RRBud said:

And thank you for putting up the image of the roses - - I stole it for use as wallpaper on my work cell phone.

You big softie!!

Here are some more if you feel like changing things up.

48+] Blue Rose Wallpaper for Desktop on WallpaperSafari

Wallpaper white, roses, rose white images for desktop, section ...

Orange Roses Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave

16 Best Free Online Rose Wallpapers

RRBud

Aug-13

Thank you!  I particularly like the second two.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-14

You know, I've managed to snag a few more conservative voices in here.

You're always welcome to stick around and smell the roses.

And the fertiliser.