Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A United Korea?   Asia

Started 1/4/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 19810 views.
In reply toRe: msg 122
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Apr-14

BerrySteph

Apr-14

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

In the latest announcement, Ri Son Gwon, chairman of the state-run Committee for the Peaceful Reunification, quoted Mr Kim as ordering officials to promptly take substantial measures with South Korea out of a "sincere stand and honest attitude". South Korea quickly welcomed Mr Kim's decision and later confirmed that the two Koreas began preliminary contacts on the channel.

Will someone explain to me what it would take for Korea to be peacefully re-united?

And is it likely that the sole obstacle to this is the attitude and actions of the US?

Perhaps 70 of it, ever since they forced Syngman Rhee on "South" Korea.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Apr-15

North Korea would have to change.

Civil rights, nuclear disarmament, freedom for the people - the whole shebang.

China wants South Korean technology, so the tug of war for North Korea's soul is caught in the middle.

BerrySteph

Apr-15

North Korea would have to change.

Why? The Koreans are desperate for it to happen and some of them have invested greatly in the Kaesong Industrial Park, as would provide KJU and 200 of his cronies with pension. Might even make him Head of State, Emperor, separate that function from Head of Government like civilised countries do.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Apr-15

South Korea would not just ignore the starving millions.

They would all be Korean citizens.

This, of course, would mean KJU sharing power.

No way that will happen.

BerrySteph

Apr-16

This, of course, would mean KJU sharing power. No way that will happen.

This, of course, would mean KJU sharing power. No way that will happen.

Leave it for the Koreans - they clearly want to be re-united and have always done so.

Only the US's foot on their neck prevents it happening overnight.

bml00

Apr-16

South Korea would have access to very low cost labour , North Korea would have access to Hi Tech Industries each would need to conceed something , however the North will need to bend further than the South as the North is about as democratic as a gulag and once the two groups intergrate the advantages of free speech will overwhelm the demonic system currently in place in the North

The Industrial park is neither here nor there as it is small fry small potatoes in the scheme of things

South Korea is dependent on US weapons , know how and capabilities , it will be ultimately US overwhelming economic and strategic power that will weigh and drive the Power of the North to keep coming back to the negotiation table it will be the abilities of the US , the South and the mind set of the Northern regime that will and move things I guess the North has a great interest in seeings its regime continue it is the joint machinations of all to try to find the formula

BM

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Apr-17

Their only real actions so far have been symbolic unions at the Olympics.  Even they can get testy.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Apr-17

More like slave labour.

It is a tad hypocritical that South Africa uses it. 

The US getting their military bases out of SK would be a definite point of contention in the talks.

bml00

Apr-17

The free world is always looking for the NEXT cheap labour country , it has been Bangladesh or Vietnam it was Romania and so on and of course NK with millions available willing to work for regular meals would be a boom .

I doubt the US will move out of South Korea but it is feasible that a major intermidiate agreement could see the US close bases (With the ability to bring Carrier Groups to bear I would imagine planning for such moves exist)

For the moment the NK is looking to see its regime survive I am sure an agreement which would allowed the NK tyrant to stay in titular power could be created .

I am guessing but there are possibly stirrings in NK happening that is why Kim is willing to reach out to the US in an effort to forestall any issues ,like all such tyrants their armies quickly disentergrate when pushed to it

BM

• Edited April 17, 2019 3:46 am  by  bml00