Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Derailed thread. Fuck You Berry!   The U.K and Europe

Started 6/1/18 by PTG (anotherPTG); 15453 views.
In reply toRe: msg 84
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

In reply toRe: msg 85
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

A masked health worker stands next to a painting of a young child playing with a nurse doll wearing a mask and cape

In reply toRe: msg 86
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-14

adwil

May-14

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Art historian Alice Procter takes visitors on "uncomfortable tours" of museums and galleries, exposing the dubious provenance of objects and the colonial history of these spaces.

Why would a museum/gallery exhibit make me 'uncomfortable'? 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-15

She gets into the history of the piece, like what indigenous culture it was stolen from.

adwil

May-15

She gets into the history of the piece, like what indigenous culture it was stolen from.

I wouldn't feel uncomfortable. I think it really silly to feel guilt about what one's ancestors did. I wouldn't blame a young German for the Holocaust or a person from Bristol or Liverpool for the Slave Trade.

BerrySteph

May-15

adwil said:

I wouldn't blame a young German for the Holocaust or a person from Bristol or Liverpool for the Slave Trade.

But you'll laud people who claim that the Palestinians were responsible for the Holocaust.

BerrySteph

May-15

I'd find that very interesting.

Some of this stuff was outright stolen (or looted). I forget what the situation is with the Elgin Marbles.

adwil

May-15

BerrySteph said:

But you'll laud people who claim that the Palestinians were responsible for the Holocaust.

I don't know any idiots who believe that.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-16

I guess it depends on the person.  Obviously anyone who joins the tour would know what they are in for, and is prepared to be shocked and appalled.

It would be "uncomfortable" for any regular museum visitor within earshot of the group.