Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

China   Asia

Started 9/8/18 by Di (amina046); 16256 views.
In reply toRe: msg 239
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-24

In reply toRe: msg 240
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-26

In reply toRe: msg 241
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-27

BerrySteph

Aug-27

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Political commentator Yang Hengjun is facing years in jail after Chinese authorities formally arrested him on suspicion of spying.

Only the same thing we're doing - with much less excuse. 

I'm astonished and depressed to see China still so despotic even when it could financially afford to be relaxed.

I'm forced to conclude that living on a continent bordering other nations is intrinsically unstable and nasty. Made much worse by western poking of these countries, but nasty of itself.

The strange thing is I've not yet come across any Grand Theory of this effect - or even any discussion of it in a book or article. 

bml00

Aug-29

I guess if you were lucky enough to be British and on an Island (as Dunce is trying to say) you would only be fighting for 2000 years in practically every war the English could find or create , if they were not fighting each other or rushing off to Crusades then they were having forever wars with Europe

"Oh to be in England now that April's there" (who the hell was April) (Mr Robert Browning esq) he must over looked the Battle of Waterloo IN 1815 when he put nib to paper

BM

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-30

BerrySteph said:

I'm astonished and depressed to see China still so despotic even when it could financially afford to be relaxed.

I read an interesting article yesterday about how communist Chinese view democracy.

They are of the (not ridiculous) opinion that democracy could not work with a population of a billion people.

Too many factions, opinions, parties and views causing more division than it is worth.

I can kinda see their point.  I mean, it's one thing for a couple of million people to be upset with the outcome of an election. But 300 million pissed off people?  That's a catastrophe waiting to happen.

When did India last have a peaceful election?

In reply toRe: msg 245
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-30

BerrySteph

Aug-30

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said: I read an interesting article yesterday about how communist Chinese view democracy. 

You should link us to it. (Unless there's something about copyright you know that I don't know).

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:  They are of the (not ridiculous) opinion that democracy could not work with a population of a billion people. Too many factions, opinions, parties and views causing more division than it is worth. I can kinda see their point.  

I think its nonsense. 

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:  I mean, it's one thing for a couple of million people to be upset with the outcome of an election. But 300 million pissed off people?  That's a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I think your articles is nonsense - there is a much more fundamental reason why China and Russia (and even Saudi) cannot afford to be operating consensually.

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:  When did India last have a peaceful election?

Indian elections have, at least as best I know, mostly come up with a decently democratic result.

That may have started to change - they've come up against the same problem that other continental nations have.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-31

BerrySteph said:

I think your articles is nonsense

So... you don't want me to provide a link so you can actually read it?

BerrySteph

Aug-31

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

So... you don't want me to provide a link so you can actually read it?

You get angry with me for providing astonishing information that comes fully documented.

Actually, that's a dereliction of your duty according to the Wizop's code - though nobody will even tap your wrist for it, since you are clearly siding with the Nazi-forgiving Zionists.