Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is it 2020 yet?   America - all of it

Started 11/19/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 5520 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Apr-26

Di (amina046)

Apr-26

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Apr-27

In reply toRe: msg 41
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

BerrySteph

May-1

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Russian agent jailed for attempting to infiltrate US politics A US judge sentences Maria Butina to 18 months in prison for conspiring with a Russian official to infiltrate a gun rights group and influence US conservative activists and Republicans.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-27/russian-agent-maria-butina-sentenced-to-18-months-jail/11051036

Russian agent jailed for attempting to infiltrate US politics

A US judge sentences Maria Butina to 18 months in prison for conspiring with a Russian official to infiltrate a gun rights group and influence US conservative activists and Republicans.

I feel sorry for her. Met an American boyfriend, thought she could escape her grim existence.

Caught and punished because she boasted to her girl-friend that she knew people in the Moscow government.

She couldn't possibly have added anything to US politics other than glamour - where's the problem?

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

I think America is pretty hesitant to trust Russia when it comes to politics.

BerrySteph

May-3

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

I think America is pretty hesitant to trust Russia when it comes to politics.

Throws Russians in jail for behaving like once-well-connected Russian might behave.

CzoeMC

May-4

Glamour can do a lot... I'm taking out the parts of the superfluous "musical play", and highlighting her exploits, so as to show what Butina might have been trying to do. Except that Butina was working for Russia.

A new musical follows the daring exploits of Betty Pack, a Minnesota native who helped defeat the Nazis. 

"Dirty Business" at History Theatre tells the story of Minnesota native Betty Pack and other spies.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
BerrySteph

May-5

CzoeMC said:

Glamour can do a lot... I'm taking out the parts of the superfluous "musical play", and highlighting her exploits, so as to show what Butina might have been trying to do. Except that Butina was working for Russia.

As best I can tell Butina went to the US to take a husband. Its unlikely she would ever have wished to settle back in Russia - or indeed, was "trained" to be of any use to them. They'd have taught her not to boast of her contacts to her girl-friends. 

To say that Josephine Barker was "[not] given the credit [she] deserved." is ludicrous - she was treated diabolically in the US and forced out of there again.

Let me quote you one of my heroes, an elderly brown lady speaking of two people she knew in Paris in the 1950s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vxxHyl46co

Hanna Reitsch - The Last Interview (Part 1 of 3) - filmed 1976

Allow me to introduce an actual NAZI.

Hannah Reitsch is one of my heros. She was a test pilot for Luftwaffe, holder of more than 20 aviation records. Please watch the whole thing and consider what job your grandmother would be allowed to do in 1930s in USA the land of the free.

Prejudiced Nazis? Hannah dated Kwame Nkruma when she worked on the Ghana AF training, which USA news was very happy with believing it was "miscegenation" a point against the famous Nazi. This is a real person not a Hollywood creation, member of the inner circle, personal friend of the Fuhrer, a German idol.

Another hero of mine is Josephine Baker. Madame Baker gathered intelligence for the French resistance by dating high ranking Nazis.

*** Please notice *** Being a Black lady was never an issue in dating the Nazis. Do you recall any US or UK generals dating Black ladies in the ww2 era?

This was definitely an issue with high rank French also. When Madame Baker got her military decorations (belatedly) from the French government, de Gaulle did not show up at the ceremony (as appropriate because national level decorations were involved). M. Baker's medals were presented by the Resistance leader. No news photos of Tall Charles kissing any Africans.

katiek2

May-5

Enjoy...

Weekend Update: Senator Elizabeth Warren on College Debt Forgiveness - SNL

Senator Elizabeth Warren (Kate McKinnon) talks to Colin Jost about her crazy platform for the 2020 presidential election, including student debt forgiveness....