Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The debate on Climate Change   General Confusion

Started 7/18/17 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 91221 views.
RRBud

Dec-20

Having lived and worked in various National Parks and Monuments here in the USA, and having actually fought forest fires in and around Yellowstone, I have several very unfavorable things to say about the usual tendency of firefighters to simply "put out all fires."  Forests have developed or evolved to survive forest fires - - in their natural state.  When people come along and prevent all fires, the fuel loading becomes dangerous and unstable, too many trees grow per given area of ground, and when - not if - a fire starts, it can easily become a completely uncontrollable conflagration.

I hope - not holding my breath, here - - that people can get smart enough to recognize the essential part fire has in our environment.

BerrySteph

Dec-20

I was under the impression that "put out all fires" had been comprehensively abandoned quite some years ago.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Dec-21

RRBud said:

I hope - not holding my breath, here - - that people can get smart enough to recognize the essential part fire has in our environment.

Yes.

But the Koala may become an endangered species if the first three weeks of summer are any indication.

That's not exactly harmonious.

Yes, there is chronic mismanagement and colossal ignorance possessed by those in charge.

Just out of curiosity... what would it take for you to listen to the scientists who have said that a rise in the global mean temperature of the planet of just 1 degrees C will cause catastrophic fires?

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Dec-21

Yes,

We desperately need a government who recognises the need to take care of the environment.

Unfortunately, we have a conservative government.  They could not give a fuck.

Yes, we need to do prescribed burning.

But the window keeps getting narrower and narrower.

Then when a day is available, the temperatures soar and the winds come with it, meaning the fire could not be contained.

Factor in the drought and you have an entire country that is a tinderbox waiting to go up.

Wish us luck!

ElDotardo

Dec-21

Have a Merry Christmas . . . . if you can.

Santa1

8645 (RedBV)

Dec-21

Narrower and narrower due to climate change . . . which affects the ability to do prescribed burns, done in part to mimic natural burns and in relation affecting natural decomposition . . .

The whole problem with climate change is . . . is due to climate change forested areas are decreasing - due to fire, lack of water, man made cutting, etc. . . . so previous management techniques of such areas fairly often no longer are usable and it's unknown to a point what will work in future endeavors . . .

A major and classic example of the above is what is now coming to light concerning the Amazon . . . that enough damage has been done that the natural climate of the Amazon itself has been disrupted . . . such as water available to the Amazon and that affect more or less downwind/stream of the Amazon . . . 

RRBud

Dec-21

Oh, please believe that I listen to credible scientists all the time in areas of interest to me, and where I can understand what's being said.

Our world has gone through fairly regular climate shifts long before humans came on the scene, and since then as well.  Here I'm thinking specifically of the warm periods of the Roman Empire, and then of course the Medieval Warm Period, which latter especially was more than one degree C warmer than our recent weather patterns.  Whatever was in Australia at that time doubtless sustained both boon and doom, depending on what and where.  Unfortunately, humans seem unable to accept that reality - - as well as to accept that sometimes we have to step back and not keep meddling in stable and naturally sustainable ecosystems.

Please see the link for a graphic presentation for what I'm talking about.  It's just one of MANY roughly similar charts.  Here I'm looking for your direct e-mail because I can't provide a direct link to the article I wish - rats - so could you please provide that to me?

Anyway, yes - an overall change of one degree C will cause significant changes to our environment, and humans will have to adapt - - including lose well over half our current population, which is unsustainable.  That's part of why my wife and I adopted children - - -

BerrySteph

Dec-21

RRBud said:

then of course the Medieval Warm Period, which latter especially was more than one degree C warmer than our recent weather patterns.

That's far from proven. There was a climate anomaly at that time and nobody that I can tell has explained what caused it.

However, it had different effects in different parts of the world, some of which probably cooled.

There is no such thing as "natural variation" - there must have been either a heating effect (more heat coming from the sun) or a greenhouse effect (atmosphere changed and trapping more heat).

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Dec-22

Awww pretty!

We got rain on Thursday!

Such a relief.

It will heat up again for Christmas, but hopefully not crack 40 degrees.